PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

ReneRobert

Might Stick Around
Aug 6, 2021
If anyone has a silver cap or somehow even a silver lid they want to part with please let me know. Thanks

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They'll sell direct? They all seem to say "not available for purchase" on their website.
Being under fairly recent ownership by a much larger company, they may be willing to give you a hand. Couldn't hurt to check.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Apparently most of the silver work, including wind caps were produced through independent silversmiths when Peterson was still Peterson. I suggest buying a "silver cap" and finding a smith to make and attach a silver wind cap. Might take some research though. If you can find a photo of a Peterson with the wind cap that'd certainly help.

Best bet, in my opinion, is to find one on one of the auction sites or used pipe dealers. They appear hard to find. Wish you luck in your hunt!

I'm smoking one in my ID photo above. It is a prized, winter/rain,wind smoker when outside shooting wildlife.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If anyone has a silver cap or somehow even a silver lid they want to part with please let me know. Thanks
A silver piece is not impossible to find, but why?

Are you looking for a decorative bit, or to use as originally intended- keeping embers in and some wind out?

ReneRobert

Might Stick Around
Aug 6, 2021
A silver piece is not impossible to find, but why?

Are you looking for a decorative bit, or to use as originally intended- keeping embers in and some wind out?
Mix of everything. I'd be lying if I didn't just love the appearance though. My silver spigot is my favorite currently and the real eye-catcher on my mantle currently. I have other nice pipes to compare to like a couple Castellos and commissions.

With silver caps I can be a bit more careless outside and not care about scorching the rim.

The cap would be even better for being able to prepack a pipe keeping it contained inside and obviously keep the wind off it when driving or gusty weather

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You might want to get a cheap nickel (or whatever metal) one to see how poorly it behaves in a wind over 12-15 knots. So much air passes through you could burn the pipe. And sometimes an ember will be blown out.

But I understand the desire for the aesthetics!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The cap would be even better for being able to prepack a pipe keeping it contained inside and obviously keep the wind off it when driving or gusty weather
Ecen with a wind cap in place one should shield the ember using their fist. The Peterson wind cap is solid, no vents, so the breeze/wind gets focused under the edge. Smoking in a stiff breeze or a wind is tricky and requires some thought.

Reactions: jpmcwjr