PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Given your description of what you’re seeking, I’m surprised no one has suggested a Samuel Gawith/Gawith Hoggarth blend.

I certainly haven’t tried them all, but of those I’ve smoked I think SG’s Perfection might be a good fit. It’s a bit rough around the edges, with a medium nicotine level, but it’s an enjoyable flake with condimental quantities of latakia and an added vanilla note. As bizarre as it might sound, I remember thinking that it reminded me of a slightly heavier Frog Morton on the Town.

Reactions: kcghost

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was hoping to find something in between an aromatic and a dark English blend. I tend to like my stuff natural, without added flavors. I like complexity, but not for its own sake. Something sophisticated without trying too hard. Something that would go well with a sunset on the ocean. Something with a bit of an edge, but also something with some sweetness. Bitter-sweet. Yin-yang. Doesn't need to be nicotine-heavy, but some would be nice. And ideally something that might stay on the market for a while.
20190423_111415-1.jpg

Robin Hoek

Lurker
Jan 26, 2023
I think you described Kramers blend for Cary Grant. It literally is a blend that I've described as being both manly and feminine in a perfect blend. That lets you enjoy the smoke and your date enjoy the room note. Oh my only advice to don't talk about enjoying a womans aromatics outside of a pipe forum even if she is your girlfriend. Other people wouldn't understand. Oh actually talk about whatever you want if she's cool with it, but don't think the outsiders will understand.
I've been lucky enough to find (and keep) a tomboy girl. She's an outdoorsy bicycle mechanic. Knowing this, I got her a churchwarden cob pipe for Christmas and she loves it. She's the reason I'm getting back into this. I wonder how many of us men here can say that we can sit next to our companions and smoke a pipe together. I'm lucky.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: anotherbob

Robin Hoek

Lurker
Jan 26, 2023
Try not to be put off by how sweet the tin note is on Autumn Evening. It mellows over time, and it’s nowhere near that sweet once it’s actually being smoked.

I find the tin smells like an extra sweet stack of pancakes, which is lovely of course, but if it tasted like that it would be too much. Thankfully it doesn’t!
Thank you for the insight. Yes, I gather that the smoking experience is very different from the tin note. It seems to be a word of warning to new smokers. It may smell like cherries, but it certainly does not taste like cherries. It tastes like tobacco.

Robin Hoek

Lurker
Jan 26, 2023
Based upon your description, such a blend doesn't exist. Why don't you just try a few blends from different genres so you can at least start to describe what you like in one or two sentences?
That was the goal, which is in the process of being achieved. Many people here were kind enough to give their recommendations.

Robin Hoek

Lurker
Jan 26, 2023
Given your description of what you’re seeking, I’m surprised no one has suggested a Samuel Gawith/Gawith Hoggarth blend.

I certainly haven’t tried them all, but of those I’ve smoked I think SG’s Perfection might be a good fit. It’s a bit rough around the edges, with a medium nicotine level, but it’s an enjoyable flake with condimental quantities of latakia and an added vanilla note. As bizarre as it might sound, I remember thinking that it reminded me of a slightly heavier Frog Morton on the Town.
I appreciate this recommendation. I remember Frog Morton from back in the day. I guess they don't make it anymore? Seems like someone should, given its huge legacy.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I appreciate this recommendation. I remember Frog Morton from back in the day. I guess they don't make it anymore? Seems like someone should, given its huge legacy.
McClelland went out of business back in 2018 and the owners retired the blends. They didn't want their brand smeared by components or blending techniques that didn't meet their standards. It really wasn't widely largely regarded though until after McClelland closed their doors

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Hello. First post here. I'm sure this has been asked a million times, so I'm sorry for that in advance.

I'm getting back to the pipe smoking hobby after several years and am seeking a few tobaccos to enjoy.

When I was younger I enjoyed the blackest, strongest English/Irish stuff I could find. Now I find I've mellowed a little, and have even been enjoying my girlfriend's aromatics.

I was hoping to find something in between an aromatic and a dark English blend. I tend to like my stuff natural, without added flavors. I like complexity, but not for its own sake. Something sophisticated without trying too hard. Something that would go well with a sunset on the ocean. Something with a bit of an edge, but also something with some sweetness. Bitter-sweet. Yin-yang. Doesn't need to be nicotine-heavy, but some would be nice. And ideally something that might stay on the market for a while.

Thank you!

You will definitely want to try Sillem’s Black, an English Aro.

Reactions: Robin Hoek