PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
After looking over this 1980 CAO catalogue, my first impressions are that Bekler tried to exceed his abilities with a large number Figurals that Cano showcased for him. He really did better with the Pipes he carved for Golden Horn, or at least the 1975 catalogue Pipes look better. Bekler was a high production Carver, credited with some 2,000 - 4,000 Pipes a year, which means that he did the carving, but let others in his team do the sanding, waxing and fitting the bit to the Pipes. Likely, the emphasis on production was due, at least in part to Cano's relationship with the Tinderbox franchises, where CAO Meerschaums were pretty much an exclusive line. This is the machine that kept Bekler in the North American public view, despite the availability of high grade Meerschaums being produced by other Carvers, which were sold in other markets. Bekler was a hot item in the 1980s, when Cano Ozgener promoted him, Bekler was the first to start that trend of signing his pieces, unheard of at that time. In the 1970s and 1980s. Cano was the first aggressive marketer of Turkish pipes, and he also introduced CAO Meerschaum Cleaner and that tube of carnauba wax that was on the shape of a Chapstick. Cano (with Bekler at his side) was on a roll, and his idea of promoting him was, if memory serves me right, ahead of the game, long before Sam Sermet and SMS.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I have an old CAO egg/lattice that I bought when I worked at TB back in the late '70's... I love it, it's a great smoker!

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Thanks Lonestar...! These Pipes have been my passion and pleasures for years and I've enjoyed learning about them. There is still a lot for me to discover about them, but I pass along what bits of information I find.
Yes Markw4mms, these old CAO Meerschaums are good Pipes and smoke well. I've got a few of them laying about around here as well.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
As an interesting aside, Bekler was once asked: "Does your skill as a Pipe Carver make you a celebrity in Turkey?" Ismet's answer gives us a perspective that applies these days as well. "No Carver is well known in Turkey. 99% of the smoking population are cigarette smokers. As a matter of fact, my Pipes are distributed exclusively in this country (USA); none are sold in Turkey. The Meerschaums that are sold there are bought by tourists who are looking for bargains and find them in Pipes made of poor quality stones and rejects. I'm more well-known in this country where people have a finer appreciation for Meerschaum Pipes."

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, it is only a recent development that Carvers will sign their Pipes. Turkish Carvers are the only ones who've signed their work. This is a cottage industry and has been for the last 300 years. Some of the most beautifully carved Meerschaum Pipes from the past were created by artisans whose names have been lost in the sands of time. The work to discover more about these Pipes and artisans continues. It is slow and difficult.

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I just picked up a 1974 I. Bekler Sultan, beautiful pipe. Fantastic craftsmanship,and aged beautifully.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I love Bekler history. Here is mine from two nights ago posted here. One of my favorite pipes. I will say that my stem fit to the shank is less than perfect though.

1FSwA4I.jpg

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Ekert, I believe he has passed.
I stopped in to a local shop last week and noticed an old 10 pipe CAO display case of figurals. 2 or 3 (that I could see) were Bekler signed.
I was wondering if any of you long term meer fans could offer up your opinion on value? What would 70s or 80s era Bekler figurals go for retail in 2018?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have a CAO figural my wife bought me as a Christmas present in 1984. It's not signed so I have no idea who carved it but it is still a good smoker.
jHVSIyx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.