Is Your Tobacco Cellar Large Enough to Outlive You?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
New Cigars
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gubbins

Might Stick Around
Feb 5, 2020
Definitely not, but I'm in my 30's. I'm not too worried since I don't smoke "flavored" tobaccos though and I don't think plain old tobacco is going anywhere anytime soon. Can always learn to grow and process my own if it comes to that ?‍♂️

Reactions: chopper and gervais

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
Guys who grow their own say that homegrown is far superior to commercial blends.
Many of them say that the difference is night and day.

If you ever have questions re; growing, harvesting, curing etc., go to www.fairtradetobacco.com forum.
The experienced members and staff are very helpful.
I'm discovering the whole leaf tobacco and blends now. There really is a big difference in the homegrown tobaccos. You don't have propylene glycol and the other preserving chemicals in the leaf. I highly recommend that anyone who likes pipe tobacco, to at least try some. Its nice not to have any goop in the bottom of the bowl thats for sure.

Dandy Pipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
I would say no. Where I come from pipe smokers are not used to cellar. Who does it's more for the aging than for stocking up. I'm just cellaring some hard to find blends or some favourites for aging.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Guys who grow their own say that homegrown is far superior to commercial blends.
Many of them say that the difference is night and day.

If you ever have questions re; growing, harvesting, curing etc., go to www.fairtradetobacco.com forum.
The experienced members and staff are very helpful.
Its nice to smoke your own blends that you've grown.
I find it fairly easy to grow. If you can grow a tomato plant- you can grow tobacco.
Bright (Virginia) Burley and Oriental variety are typical for common pipe blends.
Curing is an actual artform. Many of them are simply dried by hanging in the shade. It does take time, though. Different flavors can be developed by drying in the sun or in a smoker with aromatic herbs of fragant tree branches- latakia. Perique is typically fermented in its own juices, under pressure.

If you want to try to grow tobacco- PM me and I'll see if I can find seeds for any member who wants to try.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
A tin of Escudo goes for about $65. About bit the stem off my pipe when I saw that.
That's rough. Could be worse though. Here in Nanny State Australia I've never seen Escudo for sale. If it was it would be around $120 [And there's another tax hike or two to come]

• Angry
Reactions: Elric

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I'm discovering the whole leaf tobacco and blends now. There really is a big difference in the homegrown tobaccos. You don't have propylene glycol and the other preserving chemicals in the leaf. I highly recommend that anyone who likes pipe tobacco, to at least try some. Its nice not to have any goop in the bottom of the bowl thats for sure.
"goop in the bottom of the bowl"? "preserving chemicals"? What on Earth are you smoking Ron?

Whole leaf is rather cheap in the U.S. Make sure to get yourself a variety of leaf.
The boys at FairTradeTobacco have some interesting recipes. Unfortunately they're all way too high in nicotine for my needs. YMMV.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Its nice to smoke your own blends that you've grown.
I find it fairly easy to grow. If you can grow a tomato plant- you can grow tobacco.
Bright (Virginia) Burley and Oriental variety are typical for common pipe blends.
Curing is an actual artform. Many of them are simply dried by hanging in the shade. It does take time, though. Different flavors can be developed by drying in the sun or in a smoker with aromatic herbs of fragant tree branches- latakia. Perique is typically fermented in its own juices, under pressure.

If you want to try to grow tobacco- PM me and I'll see if I can find seeds for any member who wants to try.
A while back I grew some Virginia. Growing is easy. Drying and curing IS an "artform".
At the time I could find no info so I winged it and it turned out rather tasty.

This year I was only able to grow Burley. It will probably be too high in Vit N for me so I intend to turn it into Black Cavendish.
Next season I'll be growing Virginia and an Oriental.

I've got a pound of Virginia and a couple of pounds of Burley that have aged for a couple of years that I intend to make some kake.
I've bought several flavourings to experiment. My first will be dark rum and vanilla.

There's a lot to learn but the two most important steps is to age for at least a year [hanging is best] and to case with a sugared water. [According to what I've read, ALL commercial tobacco is cased with a little sugar to improve the taste]

Reactions: docpierce

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
A while back I grew some Virginia. Growing is easy. Drying and curing IS an "artform".
At the time I could find no info so I winged it and it turned out rather tasty.

This year I was only able to grow Burley. It will probably be too high in Vit N for me so I intend to turn it into Black Cavendish.
Next season I'll be growing Virginia and an Oriental.

I've got a pound of Virginia and a couple of pounds of Burley that have aged for a couple of years that I intend to make some kake.
I've bought several flavourings to experiment. My first will be dark rum and vanilla.

There's a lot to learn but the two most important steps is to age for at least a year [hanging is best] and to case with a sugared water. [According to what I've read, ALL commercial tobacco is cased with a little sugar to improve the taste]
You make want to try and oriental variety. They are typically lower in the "N" factor.
Bursa is a turkish that i like. Prilep is Macedonean that is a pretty plant w/ wavy leaves.

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
You make want to try and oriental variety. They are typically lower in the "N" factor.
Bursa is a turkish that i like. Prilep is Macedonean that is a pretty plant w/ wavy leaves.
Yes thanks, that's what I was thinking. Orientals also tend to be smaller plants. The Burley I grew this year reached 7' tall which is not very discrete.
The owner of the FairTradeTobacco forum sells seeds but the minimum quantity is 8 grams for $50. [Enough seed to plant many acres] So I need to find a seed seller that sells by the gram, who is willing to declare it as something else that doesn't draw attention.
Once a tobacco plant reaches maturity, one has enough seeds to last for many years if stored correctly.

Reactions: docpierce

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Yes thanks, that's what I was thinking. Orientals also tend to be smaller plants. The Burley I grew this year reached 7' tall which is not very discrete.
The owner of the FairTradeTobacco forum sells seeds but the minimum quantity is 8 grams for $50. [Enough seed to plant many acres] So I need to find a seed seller that sells by the gram, who is willing to declare it as something else that doesn't draw attention.
Once a tobacco plant reaches maturity, one has enough seeds to last for many years if stored correctly.
Have you tried Skychaser at: Good guy and a pleasure to work with.

Drew72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2019
Illinois
I have calculated that a pound of tobacco equates to approximately 150 bowls (at 3g of tobacco per bowl, which I have read is about the average)-- 28.3 grams per ounce * 16 ounces per pound / 3g per bowl= ~150

Kinda nice that it works out to a nice round number. So, at my 2-3 bowls per week pace, I am good for about at most a pound of tobacco per year. I only have a couple pounds in my inventory, so I'm nowhere close if I stick to the hobby. But I can at least calculate how much I would need with a fair amount of precision

• Haha