PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Nope, those are totally smokable, ha ha. But, MacBarens has designed Virginia #1 exclusively as a CIA anti-terrorist enhanced interrogation blend.
I mean, yeh, some may get tongue bite from Pure Virginia or the Virginia Flake, but Virginia #1 seals the deal... unless you have a tongue of steel. If that doesn't bite you,. then you may rest assured that nothing will.
This one along with their Scottish blend and Mixture flake yet Borkum Riff's regular and whisky blends have always caused me serious problems in regards to tongue bite,regardless of how I slow smoked those, right moisture content, light packing + slow cadence are crucial points when experimenting with those aforementioned blend, yet I can't stop wondering , how come that these among most popular blend & best selling blends on the continental market

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
The first time I smoked a pipe was about 10 years ago and yes, I got tongue bite.
I smoked cigarettes so sometimes I was leaving my pipe unused for... months. I still got tongue bites when I used it.
In the last months I have left cigarettes and I smoke only my pipes: no more tongue bites now.
I have a feeling that my tongue got used to pipe smoke, I only hope that the nerves/papillae in my tongue aren't dying, I would be a bit concerned :-/

Personal suggestion: try not to inhale, or if you do so, let it be some french inhale as they call it, or "smelling" your smoke, from time to time, not something you want to do on a regular basis. Pipe smoking is tasting tobacco, not accumulating a lot of shit in your lungs (I smoked cigs for 20 years and my lungs are already f*** up for sure)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
The first time I smoked a pipe was about 10 years ago and yes, I got tongue bite.
I smoked cigarettes so sometimes I was leaving my pipe unused for... months. I still got tongue bites when I used it.
In the last months I have left cigarettes and I smoke only my pipes: no more tongue bites now.
I have a feeling that my tongue got used to pipe smoke, I only hope that the nerves/papillae in my tongue aren't dying, I would be a bit concerned :-/

Personal suggestion: try not to inhale, or if you do so, let it be some french inhale as they call it, or "smelling" your smoke, from time to time, not something you want to do on a regular basis. Pipe smoking is tasting tobacco, not accumulating a lot of shit in your lungs (I smoked cigs for 20 years and my lungs are already f*** up for sure)
Agreed, also where needed dry your tobacco & avoid packing too tight,

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Thanks for the concern and suggestions and someday I might maybe ween myself off the inhale. But for now I'm content.
I tried everything to stop smoking EVERYTHING Vapes, Patches, gum, Chew, hypnosis, acupuncture, Nicotine pouches, Prescriptions that left me with an inability to sleep and compulsive Suicidal urges/Fantasies. Only two things ever really "helped" Going to jail and the pipe. It was magic. One big chest full and My cravings melted instantly becoming so pathetic. I stopped caring about any but that last cig before bed and that urge was gone in the first two weeks.
And unlike every other stop smoking aid before the pipe. I nether dread the local market and it's wall of smokes nor the smokers I encounter around me. Im sure the inhale isn't the best for my lungs but after 19 years smoking and 10+ at 2 packs a day. It's worth it.

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
I've found that most aromatics bite the hell out of my tongue; no matter how slowly I smoke them. It's one of the reasons I gravitated away from them. Nice room note, but little actual taste, and lots of bite.

Haven't really had a problem with any non-aromatics, including Virginias, provided I smoke slow and not too hot (though I know certain kinds of Virginias can cause allergic reactions for some folks). English blends seem to be the least bite-prone of all.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Tonight I’ve smoked one of the worst “biting” tobacco I own, Virginia # 1 and one of the least, Prince Albert, in the same brand new GBD Colossus.

Neither bit my tongue because I’ve learned to subconsciously change my technique of smoking and avoid bite.

Old time Prince Albert cans had a July 30, 1907 patent date on the can.

It was supposed to be proof R J Reynolds spent a lot of money for a German scientist to develop a patented process to remove the bite.

The reality was they figured out a way to infuse the milder bottom burley leaves with licorice and other sweeteners to sell milder tobacco that still tasted good.

The Prince Albert smoker has an easier time avoiding bite, than with the highest grade Virginias.

But I think the tobacco tars, which also provide the flavor, are the culprit in tongue bite and mouth burn in inexperienced pipe smokers.

Reactions: HopHand