PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Old_Woodsman

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2022
Hi,

I acquired a couple of Peterson pipes, this one has a small crack in the mouthpiece - is it worth repairing? I suspect it won't affect the smoke?

Thanks

1000001524.jpg1000001525.jpg1000001526.jpg

Reactions: beargreasediet

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
That looks like it was a P-lip that got hacked on to fishtail-ize-ify it.

And the hacker didn't have the right tools to create a funnel so used something that required a lot of force to cut, like dragging a hooked piece of coat hanger wire or something, which caused a crack.

How well superglue will work depends on how long the crack has been there. If fresh, it'll probably stick. If older and the inner surfaces of the crack have been repeatedly filled with mouth yuck, tobacco gunk and etc via capillary action and then dried between smokes, the glue will probably not be able to stick very well.

No harm in trying, though.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
That looks like it was a P-lip that got hacked on to fishtail-ize-ify it.

And the hacker didn't have the right tools to create a funnel so used something that required a lot of force to cut, like dragging a hooked piece of coat hanger wire or something, which caused a crack.

How well superglue will work depends on how long the crack has been there. If fresh, it'll probably stick. If older and the inner surfaces of the crack have been repeatedly filled with mouth yuck, tobacco gunk and etc via capillary action and then dried between smokes, the glue will probably not be able to stick very well.

No harm in trying, though.
If it’s the latter can anything be done by me or a professional? I’ve got an old vulcanite stem that’s got a similar issue.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
A search for bite repair on the blog Reborn Pipes will return a number of examples. I appreciate Steve's blog because he takes a plethora of meticulous photographs of each repair.
Thanks for the lead! Here are two articles I found:

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
I've done this with charcoal powder. But yeah, you have almost no time, so it can be frustrating or even risky.
I've noticed with charcoal powder, it causes a strange chemical reaction that seems to heat up the concoction to the point of a plume of smoke is created and that's it, instantly solid and it's actually warm to the touch.

Reactions: Briar Tuck and SBC

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I've noticed with charcoal powder, it causes a strange chemical reaction that seems to heat up the concoction to the point of a plume of smoke is created and that's it, instantly solid and it's actually warm to the touch.
This happened to me, but I thought it was the cotton of the pipe cleaner I was mixing it with. Didn't realize it was the charcoal.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
This happened to me, but I thought it was the cotton of the pipe cleaner I was mixing it with. Didn't realize it was the charcoal.
RIGHT. The charcoal was of course my first plan of action and after the third time I figured yup has to be the components of the mixture not my mixing. I consider myself 🔥 but not enough to heat up glue and charcoal to the point of ignition lol.

Reactions: Briar Tuck and SBC