PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
After I had accumulated around twenty or so, I did the 'float in saltwater' test on the ones that didn't have tenons attached to them. The results were surprising.
I have several “real amber” stems, per the label on the case, my point of this entire post is that real amber, isn’t always real amber, no test will reveal that.

It’s like stingers. “Cooler, Dryer” smoke guaranteed.

Well, who is warrantying and pipe made in 1898? Lol.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I have several “real amber” stems, per the label on the case, my point of this entire post is that real amber, isn’t always real amber, no test will reveal that.

It’s like stingers. “Cooler, Dryer” smoke guaranteed.

Well, who is warrantying and pipe made in 1898? Lol.

Even the 'real amber' label on a 1910 pipe case doesn't mean much, as it was very easy to get a bakelite replacement stem that would be very close to fitting your case.

I have a bunch of meerschaum catalog pages from the early 20th century that would amaze most collectors, because of how extensive the options are.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
Even the 'real amber' label on a 1910 pipe case doesn't mean much, as it was very easy to get a bakelite replacement stem that would be very close to fitting your case.

I have a bunch of meerschaum catalog pages from the early 20th century that would amaze most collectors, because of how extensive the options are.
Have you posted these anywhere? I'd be interested to have a look at em

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The whole amber stem debate can get very amusing. Take a short trip over to Ebay and you will be offered pipes with 'Cherry Amber' stems which is the foolish way of describing Redmanol, an amazing gift to the 1920s and pipe construction in general. In the late 19th century there were numerous fake amber type compounds around. One called 'Amber-ein' was made from a few things I would not want to put in my mouth such as Zylene and tree resin. The usual stem material you run into is Bakelite which although fragile seems to survive remarkably well but tends to result in stems in that 'custard powder' color which I am rather fond. If you smoke these types of pipes on a regular basis you tend to develop a second sense when it comes to spotting amber stems.