PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckDJeesus

Lurker
Dec 26, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

So I inherited a few pipes from my pops and I'm trying to clean them up. One of them is a Butz-Choquin with a strange metal filter attached to the stem. I've never seen such a filter so I am wondering is it removable? I mean I've tried pulling on it with no success. Just don't want to try too hard before I know if it's meant to be removable or not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 20210107_164724.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
That's not a filter. It's called a stinger and some of them are removable and some are not. That one looks as if it may be removable. Try pulling it straight out or twisting it a little bit clockwise/counter clockwise while pulling. You shouldn't have to use a lot of strength to take it out. If it doesn't move, it probably isn't removable.

chuckDJeesus

Lurker
Dec 26, 2020
That's not a filter. It's called a stinger and some of them are removable and some are not. That one looks as if it may be removable. Try pulling it straight out or twisting it a little bit clockwise/counter clockwise while pulling. You shouldn't have to use a lot of strength to take it out. If it doesn't move, it probably isn't removable.
Thanks python! Doesn't seem to budge. That being said it took alot of gumption just to get the stem out of the shank too. I'll try putting it in the fridge for a bit.

Reactions: anotherbob

LEP7cv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2020
Portugal
seems removable, I have a stinger equal to that and it comes out, try, but don't go crazy on it:D

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Search "stuck stinger" in the search box. There are several threads on how to remove them.

I had to heat a stuck stinger with a lighter in order to pull it out.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: anotherbob

chuckDJeesus

Lurker
Dec 26, 2020
Search "stuck stinger" in the search box. There are several threads on how to remove them.

I had to heat a stuck stinger with a lighter in order to pull it out.

Hope this helps.
Thanks scloyd. Will do. Now that I know it's called a "stinger" my searches will likely produce more results. Appreciate it! Thanks.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Thanks scloyd. Will do. Now that I know it's called a "stinger" my searches will likely produce more results. Appreciate it! Thanks.
Like others have stated, be careful with it. I have an EMPEROR Classic 164 estate bent bulldog that has a stinger that is threaded into the stem. I have others that where the stinger just pulls out and a DUSKY DULCET estate bulldog that I believe has a permanent stinger.

I would leave it alone personally. Unless it's really ruining the smoke.
This is probably the best advice.

Reactions: sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What's the purpose of a stinger? It almost looks like its a device meant for wet smokers.
The theory behind these is that it acts as a condenser to cool the smoke.

In the 1920's and '30's they were all the rage. Dunhill pipes used a removable tube they called an innertube. Kaywoodie Drinkless and Synchrostem stingers were not removable. Sasieni use both removable and fixed stems. Other makers, like Barling, had a couple of special line ups with removable stingers as well as filters.

The fashion changed after WW2, though Dunhill continued to put innertubes in their pipes.

Reactions: OzPiper and BSticks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have one stinger pipe, a Kaywoodie Drinkless, where the stinger is part of the threaded piece that attaches the stem to the shank, that is, it is unremovable. To my surprise, it has proved to be a good little smoker, and cleaning off the stinger takes just a few seconds. I can't say it improves the smoke at all, but it isn't a problem. Since yours is a legacy pipe, I'd try it out; you may be completely satisfied.

Reactions: OzPiper and BSticks

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
The theory behind these is that it acts as a condenser to cool the smoke.

In the 1920's and '30's they were all the rage. Dunhill pipes used a removable tube they called an innertube. Kaywoodie Drinkless and Synchrostem stingers were not removable. Sasieni use both removable and fixed stems. Other makers, like Barling, had a couple of special line ups with removable stingers as well as filters.

The fashion changed after WW2, though Dunhill continued to put innertubes in their pipes.
Some still have them.

Reactions: OzPiper
Status
Not open for further replies.