PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
I was gifted some estate pipes by an acquaintance and among them was this cracked meerschaum.
Supposedly the shank cracked when the guy tried to screw in the tenon. I don't know if you can see the threads, or lack thereof, in the last pic.
I dont know how this is possible unless the pipe is so old and the threads were worn down. Is it possible that the meer was too cold or wet or something? (I don't know much about meerschaum).

20211222_184407.jpg20211222_184416.jpg20211222_184425.jpg

Anyways, it's a pipe that has no sentimental or monetary value, but I'd like to repair it if at all possible. What are my options? Is there any DIY fix or does it need to be taken to a professional? Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are MUCH appreciated!

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I was gifted some estate pipes by an acquaintance and among them was this cracked meerschaum.
Supposedly the shank cracked when the guy tried to screw in the tenon. I don't know if you can see the threads, or lack thereof, in the last pic.
I dont know how this is possible unless the pipe is so old and the threads were worn down. Is it possible that the meer was too cold or wet or something? (I don't know much about meerschaum).

View attachment 116416View attachment 116417View attachment 116418

Anyways, it's a pipe that has no sentimental or monetary value, but I'd like to repair it if at all possible. What are my options? Is there any DIY fix or does it need to be taken to a professional? Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are MUCH appreciated!
It can probably be banded. I’ve seen some amazing repairs on meerschaums.