New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

If you start to smell and taste burning briar, just set the pipe down till it has totally cooled off. And, try not to smoke it that hot again.
If you have never smelled or tasted burning briar... then nothing to worry about at all.

The way I see these types of things... if it is burning out, then there's not a damned thing anyone can do, so just smoke it till it's dead, and at least you will have gotten some value out of it. If you stop smoking it, because you are afraid it will burn out... the terrorist win. puffy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Darn- cleaner that some of my pipes. Am I screwing up? I stopped using the reamer them too much and allow them to get a darker even coat. I clean the heck out of them with pipe cleaners. I mean I am using them like they are going out of style at least after a bowl.
Is that a mistake?
I don't have gurgling and I am not getting a ton of cross-taste IMHO though wth do i know?

Yes, stop using the reamer so much! You do not need to remove the coating in the chamber, and leaving some of it there is a very good thing. It's called "cake" and provides some insulation to the bowl and protection to the briar.

I use very few pipe cleaners, being an adherent to the hot water flush after most smokes.

OlrikFan

Lurker
Oct 27, 2019
Yes, stop using the reamer so much! You do not need to remove the coating in the chamber, and leaving some of it there is a very good thing. It's called "cake" and provides some insulation to the bowl and protection to the briar.

I use very few pipe cleaners, being an adherent to the hot water flush after most smokes.

No no, I'm not a fanatic reamer :-D I just went as far as I could this once to try to get a view of the walls. I usually keep a coating of 1-1,5 mm for protection and for taste.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Clearly, the Illuminati triangular mark of the previous secret society member is beginning to make itself known. The seller tried to cover it up with wax but that is clearly no match for dark magic, or flake, for that matter.

lol I too couldn’t help but notice the weird triangle ;-)

Oddly I feel a tad of embarrassment because it’s a Comoy’s. Why? Not sure other than I love Comoys and own several ??‍♂️.

ETA: let us know immediately if an eye begins to form in the middle of the triangle!

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I would just smoke it and not worry about it. If there’s a problem it will become obvious but briar is pretty tough and that looks like something other than burnout to me.

Reactions: diamondback
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think it's from laying on it's side in an ashtray.
looks good to go IMO.

You are saying it could be an exterior burn. That is possible and actually a rather astute observation. I think it is from tars or whatever leaching through the grain from the inside out. Regardless, at this point, I see no reason to do anything other than continue smoking the pipe in a regular manner.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Right either a burn or got sat in some nasty ash/ wet dottle that stained it.
Or someone had shit in their hands like oil etc.

Reactions: diamondback

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have a pipe with one similar spot, and it didn't sit in ash, oil, water or anything. It's not a burn spot. There's no sign of any problem in the chamber.

I believe it is something in the briar that caused the spot, and doubt it could have penetrated from the inside walls.

Regardless, harmless, and the smoking lamp is lit.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Good point there @jpmcwjr
I have seen a lot of estate pipes with odd dark spots. Maybe more resin in the wood in those areas? Internal knot of some kind? Who knows but as you said the inner wall doesn’t seem to show any bad signs.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Would be interesting to know I guess I just figured all these pipes got stained up by greasy owners ?

Status
Not open for further replies.