PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
Based on your past experience, do you think there's any chance that Daughters & Ryan might resume selling their Picayune tobacco? I started smoking a pipe last April, and when I discovered Picayune, I had just enough time to buy 12 ounces of it, when it stopped production! :cry: I'm smoking a bowl from my last remaining few ounces right now. I loved it - I admit mostly for the nic!

I really haven't found anything to replace it. Nothing of a similar cut, with a similar kick. I'd even be willing to pay more!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Based on your past experience, do you think there's any chance that Daughters & Ryan might resume selling their Picayune tobacco? I started smoking a pipe last April, and when I discovered Picayune, I had just enough time to buy 12 ounces of it, when it stopped production! :cry: I'm smoking a bowl from my last remaining few ounces right now. I loved it - I admit mostly for the nic!

I really haven't found anything to replace it. Nothing of a similar cut, with a similar kick. I'd even be willing to pay more!
Now try having an entire company go under and losing all of their blends like McClelland. From what I can understand, Picayune is now just a memory like a few of their other blends.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
It's been so long since I had Picayune that I can't compare the blends, but you might want to try some of the C&D blends that are burley based with perique. If you haven't already tried them Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz, Burley Flakes #1 and #3 are all good, stout, no nonsense blends.

Even if they reformulated Picayune and re-released it, chances are that it wouldn't be the same. This is what happens when CEOs start cutting back. There's two philosophies to making money when times get tight... spend money to make money, or cut back to spare expenses. When I can, I try to spend to make more, and it works. But, when dealing with a product like tobacco that can taste different year to year or when you lose access to an ingredient, it can be a whole other ballgame.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Snowball, meet hell.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I second C&D Bayou Night, which is very good in its own right. Never any harm in writing the new owner of D&R, and if you don't have the new address, write c/o the old address, and make your case. Presumably the new owner just wants to sell a lot, so could be persuadable. It will cost you 55 cents to express yourself, then settle back with some Bayou Night.

What we need to do is get is get Russ ( @blendtobac ) to bring back his Freight Train. It was a heavy hitter like Picayune, with a lot of the same flavor characteristics. But, everyone has been so nasty about Pipesandcigars.com, that he may not want to do any favors for us. This would be an affect of people being nasty Karen posters.

But, I interchange some of my aged H&H Freight Train with Picayune, and they are very similar.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
If I were you I’d create a want to buy thread in the marketplace. Lots of people bought a lb of it and didn’t like it. You could probably pick a lot up at a still reasonable price.

Reactions: BROBS

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Picayune became a casualty because it didn't sell well. Maybe if all of you Picayune Piners came together and agreed to subscribe to a special run, money up front, totaling a thousand pounds of the stuff, D&R would run a batch for you.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure you could commision D&R to run a batch for you, cash up front. Probably wouldn't even have to be thousands of pounds. 500 pounds, maybe less.

Sort of reminds me of when Howard Hughes ran out of his favorite banana ice cream because Baskin Robbins stopped making it

Reactions: sablebrush52

creole

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2019
I never tried the pipe tobacco but remember Picayune cigarettes that were sold in the 1980s. Did D&R buy the name, formula, etc.? If so, from whom?

I never tried the pipe tobacco but remember Picayune cigarettes that were sold in the 1980s. Did D&R buy the name, formula, etc.? If so, from whom?
Elmo Shrug GIFs | Tenor

Reactions: sablebrush52

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
T
I remember reading references to the cigs in connection with the pipe blend, but do not know if the blend is the same or similar or not. They seemed to be an inspiration for the tobacco if nothing else.

Reactions: JOHN72
someone is going to make something that tries to be it. That's my bet. Though I wouldn't hold out hope. The new owners of D&R cut a lot of blends and I feel like unless you can counter the issues they had with those blends they're not coming back.

Picayune seems to be a pretty straightforward blend. I bet any of the blenders could nail it first try. If the new owners are so out of touch to see there is a viable market for this AWFUL (IMO) blend then someone should capitalize on the situation.

Here's my attempt at the recipe. Place the following items in a blending tray:
  • 1 part Blackstone cigar filler (the "Thunderbird wine" of the Cigar world)
  • 1 part Camel cigarette filler (cuz it tastes like cigarettes)
  • 1 part Rustica tobacco (cuz it'll knock you on your ARSE)
  • Mix well
puffy I bet that's DAMN close.....

Status
Not open for further replies.