Is There a Proper Name for the UFO Shape?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Some time ago, I purchased a Tim West estate. What attacted me to the pipe was the unique shape of the piece; it's what I can only discribe as a UFO. I found a similar (bowl) shape listed on Ebay today, also refered to as 'UFO' (you know, instead of just taking an actual photo of the Tim West). The Tim West doesn't have the bulldog/rhodesian influence, but otherwise shares the bowl design.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unsmoked-Gorgeous-Butz-Choquin-UFO-St-Claude-France-tobacco-pipe-in-box-sock-/222315059426?hash=item33c30298e2:g:sKsAAOSwImRYDm41
Does this shape have an official name, besides 'UFO?'
Thank you, in advance, for any information.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to label some of today's creations with traditional shape names. Saucer could work for that pipe or squat bulldog because of the diamond shape shank. Whatever the name, it's a nice looking piece.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Sorry, I didn't have a chance to resize the image.
20161120_155724_zpsypcnft9k.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I'm going with "Rhodesian" on this one. To me it does not stretch the bounds of a standard Rhodie enough to qualify as either a saucer or bullcap.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Thanks to everyone for providing infomation regarding the Unidentified Saucer Rhodesian-dog! I always know the Pipesmagazine forum is the best and first place to go!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Some years back the Kansas City Carving Contest selected the bulldog as its shape, and Tim's pipe would have qualified had it been entered.
Here are the seven winners in case anyone's interested:
http://pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com/2012/09/north-american-quality/

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
This pipe is the perfect UFO pipe. It was marketed under the name Jet Set & the name Flying Disc.
s0y0pi.jpg

2z4z252.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.