Is there a place where I CAN post a "specific pipe wanted" ad?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
There are two very specific, and somewhat unusual, pipes I'm looking for. My collection has few remaining holes where there are specific pipes I want, but these are the remaining ones. One of these, I've seen in photos and just love-- and I apparently just missed one on the 'Bay, which went for dirt cheap! The other I had, and it blew out of my mouth last week from a gigantic wind gust and shattered on the pavement.

I know this site's sell/trade forum doesn't allow that. Is there any sort of pipes classifieds anywhere else?

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
There are two very specific, and somewhat unusual, pipes I'm looking for. My collection has few remaining holes where there are specific pipes I want, but these are the remaining ones. One of these, I've seen in photos and just love-- and I apparently just missed one on the 'Bay, which went for dirt cheap! The other I had, and it blew out of my mouth last week from a gigantic wind gust and shattered on the pavement.

I know this site's sell/trade forum doesn't allow that. Is there any sort of pipes classifieds anywhere else?
Also interested in the answer to this...

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I think we're not allowed to do that but I wish there was a place to do that. Even if there was just one stickied thread in the FS/FT section where we can post the pipes we're looking for that would be helpful. That would also cut down on having to search through an entire section to see if someone is looking for a pipe you want to get rid of; you would just search through that thread.

Maybe @admin can chime in.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
See.. If the pipes are too interesting, everyone will grab for it. So only proper thing to do is post some Dunhill and say that's what you want. Might add birth year to really throw off those who does that kinda thing.

Reactions: trudger

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I find it strange that your not allowed to post a wanted ad.
I have read the reasoning behind it they are too hard to police but dont understand it

whats different to police
for sale dunhill rhodesian 1966 price xxx
wanted dunhill rhodesian my birthyear 1966

I dont want a dunhill

Last edited:

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I believe you can. Just not in the FS/FT section of the forum. Because you’re not actually offering to sell or trade anything.
ok fair point I had always read it as you cant post wanted ads anywhere.Where would be the correct place to post such a request?
I said I didnt understand it,I am sometime a bit thick

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
ok fair point I had always read it as you cant post wanted ads anywhere.Where would be the correct place to post such a request?
I said I didnt understand it,I am sometime a bit thick
If I were looking for a pipe, I’d mention it in the pipe section of the forum: Pipe Talk, I think it’s called.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
maybe but like the for sale could be a rule to converse by PM
Read any FS thread, and you’ll quickly find that a lot of people have a difficult time understanding that rule, or they don’t read the forum rules to begin with. I’d guess that 3/4 of all moderator posts are related to PMing all discussions in these threads.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Read any FS thread, and you’ll quickly find that a lot of people have a difficult time understanding that rule, or they don’t read the forum rules to begin with. I’d guess that 3/4 of all moderator posts are related to PMing all discussions in these threads.
I have been guilty of this

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
As far as I understand , you just can't put those threads in the for sale section. So theoretically, you have almost successfully posted a wanted thread, except you haven't mentioned what exactly you have been looking for! Lol
I had a few pipes I was looking for in my signature and was told by a moderator that my signature was too long and touched on the prohibition of standing "where to buy" posts.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands

So, what are you looking for ? Please share .
I suppose most of us look for some more or less "specific" pipe , that should not be too secretive.

Status
Not open for further replies.