PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Hi,

This is my first appearance in this particular category. I have a nostalgic .jpeg picture that needs some restoration--fairly simple, not elaborate--to prepare for to make a mural from, to be attached over the console table where I have my pipe racks. Any takers interested in this modest job? PM me for details if interested.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Have you considered getting yourself a copy of GIMP and exploring doing it yourself? Might be something to consider, if you haven't already. :puffy:

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Hello Sparrowhawk, I'm a photographer and fairly profficient un Photoshop.

Just PM me and tell waht you need/want and I'll try to help.
Juan

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Not a lot of information in a JPEG. This makes them hard to salvage and still retain a normal appearance. What usually happens is contrast goes downhill. Data is lost every time a JPEG is displayed and saved. My suggestion right now is to save the file on some sort of removable medium and store it until you can locate someone who might be able to do a bit of salvage.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
You might post the pixel dimensions and/or the size in megabytes. JPEGs do depreciate if opened, changed and then saved, but if there are lots of pixels, it may not matter. Make sure you keep safe the original image!

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for responding, gentlemen; I'm surprised so many of you have come forward. I've sent messages to two PM's; let me see what happens with them, and I'll contact you all in a short while. Much thanks again.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Could you please give specs asked for? Makes a big difference in what's possible. I'm an old PS user, rather out of practice for a couple of years but I haven't forgotten everything.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Should have done this before--duh. Here's the photo that I wanted to stretch to mural size. It's the original paperback Lord of the Rings mosaic cover.

lotr-connected-600x339.jpg

The pic is 135 KB.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I had that,years ago. :)
It's the original paperback Lord of the Rings mosaic

Actually,to be precise, it's from the first authorized paperback - Ballantine's edition. Don Wollheim published an unauthorized edition at Ace; it darned near destroyed Ace. I've got a couple of those somewhere.

29f21149fcb3c8a141a29841aa99b668.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With a document size of 135KB there isn't a lot of data to expand. While Photoshop offers a specific algorithm to improve enlargements, it will in the process also preserve all of the artifacting. You'll get a giant sized blur. If you have access of a higher resolution original, that's the way to start.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
With a document size of 135KB there isn't a lot of data to expand. While Photoshop offers a specific algorithm to improve enlargements, it will in the process also preserve all of the artifacting. You'll get a giant sized blur. If you have access of a higher resolution original, that's the way to start.
Exactly my thoughts.. :?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do most of my own photo printing. I'm far from an expert. My thinking is that you are starting with a low quality, printed piece of artwork, have reduced the quality further as a JPEG. What you want simply is not possible. Original artwork, shot with a high megapixel camera and printed from a TIFF or raw file might work depending on the quality of the original artwork and the size of the desired mural. As things stand you are simply SOL.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
JPEGs can be used, but only if they're saved at the topmost quality with the least compression and only saved once as a jpeg. Resaving a jpeg will seriously decrease image quality. But the biggest issue here is the size of the file. It's simply far too small to offer up a mural sized reproduction. You would be looking at something closer to a 500mb file and up depending on the size of the mural. A 135kb file is about 1/5000th the resolution needed, on average.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Couldn't agree more with the above. Sorry, but better to know now than later.
If you shot that- or have the original hard copy artwork, you could reshoot it with a DSLR and save as a RAW file. That would seem to give you the best shot without going real pro on it, real $$$. Or maybe the artwork could be purchased at Hi Rez.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I wanted to mention here that a member reading this thread PM'd me and for absolutely nothing at all, was able to do what some said was impossible: he took that tiny jpeg I posted above, and a few days later delivered to me a jpeg suitable for making a mural sized poster out of it. I wish I had his computer name here, so he could publicly come forward to gather the laurels he should receive for doing such fine work. I'll get getting that mural in a few days, and will hang it above my table holding my pipe rack along with my statues, and you'll see a really pleasing display. I'll post it both here, and in General Discussions. But, you know, I'm really, really, grateful for a couple of gentlemen who, one, made some terrific pipe racks for the console table, and two, for the fellow who reworked my LOTR jpeg so it could be displayed behind the table to contrast and color. You guys are terrific. I hope I can somehow return the favor some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.