PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
We've all heard that Dunhill's DNR is the exact same thing as Escudo. Whether you believe that or not is not the subject of this thread. Is there another brand of flake, preferably one that's cheaper or at least on sale more often, that is the same thing as Dunhill Flake? Or at least, nearly identical?

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
You might try Orlik Golden Slices, its similar. Also the McConnell Fold Flake is similar as well as Brigham Klondike Gold and John Aylesbury Luxury Flake. The last two are somewhat iffy on stock though I think Klondike Gold is over the scarcity now that Peck and Harris are stocked up. :)

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I would add Fribourg & Treyer's Cut Virginia Plug. I find this flake almost identical to Dunhill's Flake. No luck on availability though, this one can be tricky to find unfortunately.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I buy quite a bit of Peter Stokkebye Lux Bulls Eye Flake which I find quite similar and cheaper in bulk.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I would recommend Capstan Blue Flake and Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug, John Aylesbury Luxury Flake and Rattray Wallace Flake. All of these are quite tasty.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I think you'll find similar flakes...but cheaper? Now there's the challenge. OGS is different but you might see if it scratches your itch.
Common affordable flakes that get talked about: Newminster Navy Slices (I think that's the title), Peter Stokkeye has a couple flakes you might check out too, like Luxury Twist Flake.
I don't find PS Luxury Bullseye Flake to be like Dunhill Flake- but I do find it to be very yummy!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Neither Bullseye Flake nor Twist taste at all like Dunhill flake. They both have cavendish in them. Dunhill is pure straight Va. Peter Stokkebye does make a straight Va flake however, which is similar.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
That's an interesting photo Jimbo! But I thought Mac Baren made Capstan and Orlik made Dunhill. Am I wrong.....................again?
Shutterbugg. Are you referring to PS's Lux Navy Flake? Does it have a rum topping like most Navy flakes? The Dunhill Flake doesn't have a rum topping. Is that right?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I did a search for 3 & 4 star straight Va flakes at TR.com and found around 50 candidates.

You might organize a search using this sort of strategy, and sample them based on appealing tin descriptions and reviews.
A bulk that I enjoy, besides Stokkebye & Newminster, is Sutliff 507c (aka Consolidated 507c).

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I forgot to include the Iwan Ries' bulk IRC Virginia Flake. If you live outside of Illinois the price is competitive.

BTW, it's been ages since IRC made their own blends, so this is almost certainly some other brand under license.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
Newminster #400 Superior Navy Flake has an Oaty tin note and smokes as such, kinda strong. Some say it is lightly topped, I can't taste it. SP.com has the NM #400 for 28.05/lb at the moment.
Dunhill flake has a citrus tin and mild fruity smoke.
Both are great, but not the same.
Samuel gawith FVF is more so, fruity but a tad stronger. Another great smoke.
OGS? Am I the only one that gets a Lakelandish flavor from this? But what do I know, I don't like either PS offerings either...
I've heard good things about Capstan, but it is priced above my pay grade :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
My bad guys!! I get these confused. I meant Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, not bullseye. Sorry! Senior moments abound.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Once you've enjoyed some of the premium flaked or coined offerings, it's natural to look for comparable bulk alternatives to stock up and to save some dough.

Of the bulks I've tried: Luxury Bull's Eye, Luxury Navy Flake, Newminster 400, Newminster 403, I enjoy the Newminster's offerings mixed together about 50/50 for a nice tasty bowl. Prices are rising on these blends.

The 400 is a large flake that smells incredible and sweet (I 'think' pineapple?) I love it. It does tone down with time. It's fine alone, but when I mix it with the Superior Slices, which are primarily dark fired burley, I get my nic and a nice round tobacco taste.
I was happy with LBE till I tried Escudo. I was even more happy with PS LNF, because I thought the cavendish center of the LBE was just too gimmicky, and didn't really taste it. I thought the simplicity of the LNF was preferable, and its taste as good or better.

Virginia tobaccos evidently mellow with age as the sugars do whatever they do with the leaf and its various organic components.

Status
Not open for further replies.