PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I must say firstly that I don't smoke many cigars but I have started to notice that the cigars I like best have smoke that is colored a blue or even towards a purple color. This is opposed to other cigars where the color is closer to a grey/blueish smoke.
I am wondering if certain wrappers give off a distinctive smoke color when burned and for some reason that is the type I prefer? Has anyone else noticed this or I am just imagining it? I tend to like milder cigars if that helps the discussion.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Unless the cigar is flavored, I haven't noticed much difference in the smoke. There is a difference in the ash color between cubans and all other cigars.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
So far I have only smoked "normal" cigars without flavoring. On cigar I did enjoy, and it had a vivid blue/purple smoke, was an Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente Natural.

Reactions: crawdad

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
So far I have only smoked "normal" cigars without flavoring. On cigar I did enjoy, and it had a vivid blue/purple smoke, was an Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente Natural.

Strange, I smoked a Chateau Fuente a few days ago and didn't notice anything amiss smoke color wise.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Just joking ? - Did you smoke anything else before the cigar? I have never seen any tobacco burn with psychedelic colors
Was wondering the same! I smoked cigars exclusively for about fifteen years before going to pipe tobacco. Never noticed any different smoke colors. But it’s not something that I ever paid attention to either.

Reactions: BROBS

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
OK, I think I know why the different experiences, down south here is Aus the air is pure and colors are more vibrant! For you guys from Alaska and Montana, I will let you into the clean air club also :)

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
One more observation, the smoke from the lit end of the cigar has the blue/purple color however the drawn smoke through the cigar (when watching a resting cigar) is grey (so the front end has one color which the other end has a different color). This means that the lit end is showing the characteristic of the outer wrapper but when the smoke is drawn thru the cigar the filler/bind/wrapper tobacco is more mixed and thus changes the color? Maybe if a few of you try this observation and tell me if I am crazy or not.....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't often smoke cigars, so I can't say, but just thinking about it, it seems that the construction of the cigar might have as much to do with the smoke color as the leaf, affecting how it burns, at what heat and with what rapidity? Maybe?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
yes there is some connection. And color is funny how it works. People have very wildly and widely different perceptions of subtle differences in color. Much of it is how much attention they pay to color. Seriously if you take up painting you'll find you notice differences in color that never existed before.

Status
Not open for further replies.