PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I understand the short-wave thing. There is something to listen to but what's with the Ham craze? Who do you want to talk to that you didn't talk to a few months ago? What are you talking about? I just don't get it. I know a good 6 or 8 people who have bought a Ham radio in the last 60 days. Please explain. Am I missing something?

Reactions: bnichols23

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I understand the short-wave thing. There is something to listen to but what's with the Ham craze? Who do you want to talk to that you didn't talk to a few months ago? What are you talking about? I just don't get it. I know a good 6 or 8 people who have bought a Ham radio in the last 60 days. Please explain. Am I missing something?
I think it's a combination of at least two things.

One is that there are people who have always wanted to do it, and now have the time at home to study for the operator's exam and learn more about what equipment to purchase.

Second are those who believe that when the society breaks down, fractures, ends, martial law etc. etc., the ham operators will be one of the only groups able to broadcast and communicate about what is going on. I'm not arguing for or against those ideas, but I've seen them a lot over the years in the prepper and survivalist community. Now these fears are at the forefront of many people's minds.

Small handheld ham radio transmitter/receivers are now very affordable, which makes it that much more accessible for anyone looking to get into it for whatever reason. You don't need a shack in your attic full of expensive and bulky equipment.

Reactions: bnichols23

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Upside down tree.
View attachment 24820
The ground is to the right of that.
View attachment 24821
Correct, Dave sorry, my total bad. Been a long time - as soon as I posted I knew that was wrong but I figured somebody would fix it. Tnx! Mike, going off heart, but i know the round thing with a white center is an RCA plug. It wouldn't be an antenna. I've been too long gone from old wirehead stuff. Maybe Google your radio for a model # & see if there's a manual?

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
"These days you don't even need a physical radio if you want to explore and listen to the shortwave bands. There's many online SDR radios (software defined radio)."

Sholto, you are quite correct but I think you are missing the whole point. There's nothing quite like weeding out a very weak signal from half way around the world and fighting through the mush (interference, static etc) to listen to say La Voz De Los Andes in Quito, Ecuador.

Regards,

Jay. ?
Agreed Jay. HCJB
"These days you don't even need a physical radio if you want to explore and listen to the shortwave bands. There's many online SDR radios (software defined radio)."

Sholto, you are quite correct but I think you are missing the whole point. There's nothing quite like weeding out a very weak signal from half way around the world and fighting through the mush (interference, static etc) to listen to say La Voz De Los Andes in Quito, Ecuador.

Regards,

Jay. ?
Agreed, Jay. HCJB is one of the easiest to find!

Bill

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Correct, Dave sorry, my total bad. Been a long time - as soon as I posted I knew that was wrong but I figured somebody would fix it. Tnx! Mike, going off heart, but i know the round thing with a white center is an RCA plug. It wouldn't be an antenna. I've been too long gone from old wirehead stuff. Maybe Google your radio for a model # & see if there's a manual?
*off target

Hard to do this on the phone. Not the keypad, but the screen is cut down & I'm doing it 1-handed! -laugh-

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Shortwave in the news just yesterday. Texas A&M radio club keeping an English man in isolation company.

Nice story!

Google your

Oh I've been trying, there is a service manual floating around I think, but ideally I'd like both. Shortwave forums are fairly rare to find things out.

As a general update, I've cobbled together a length of wire antenna but still can't pick things up with much regularity. Turns out shortwave radio is a lot like pipe smoking, with experimentation and a lot of disappointment initially.

but the screen is cut down & I'm doing it 1-handed!

This explains a lot of your posts Bill ;)

Reactions: Bowie

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There was a recent article on CBC about HAM radio making a comeback to create a reliable means of getting information around in the far north.

I'm happy with the stations I've got so far, from Africa and Asia, but wouldn't mind fixing my whip antenna and seeing what that would do.

Reactions: Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.