Is Rustication An Iconic Future Of Italian Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
well from the Italians I've met I get the impression their pipe smokers are more likely to be working class and want a pipe that can be dropped a few times without looking too beat up. The English seem to think of piping as a fancy thing to do. I know there is going to be a lot more variety and outlooks among individuals and all that, just a trend I think I see and could totally be 100 percent wrong about (I might be telling you more about the Italians and English people I've met).

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
So many interesting thoughts and insights!

Of course italian pipe makers have also an wide variety of smooth parts on offer, but I do associate rustication with italian pipes.

I also noticed that in the photos of the Ser Jacopo catalog of 1995/96, that were posted on the Ser Jacopo Italia Facebook page, most pipes are in the rustic finish.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
When I think of Iconic Italian pipes I think of the castello or caminetto rustication, so I agree with the op.
I tend to think of italian pipes with the more artisan feel, and then Savinelli kind of in its own group in italian pipes. I also think with Sav, they actually use some of the better briar for sandblasting , not just to help cover uninteresting grain or pits. But surely with the number of pipes they make, rustication would have to be used so they wont lose there butt throwing out mediocre looking briar.

Reactions: Celius

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I tend to agree there are quite a few Italian makers who rusticate thier briar tending to seem that it's an iconic Italian thing to do, they also tend to treat it in a very similar way. No they don't all look alike but tend to be similar, making it easier to find locate the origin of maker.

Reactions: Celius

garageboy

Might Stick Around
Jul 15, 2019
Danish pipes are definitely too avant garde for me

I want to like the weird rustifications like the new dear - but too weird - give me a nice blast (and castello does some sharp ones) or smooth

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Danish pipes are definitely too avant garde for me

I want to like the weird rustifications like the new dear - but too weird - give me a nice blast (and castello does some sharp ones) or smooth
Carvers and companies tend to be too eclectic to generalize. All locales offer traditional and extreme.

Danish-Preben Holm

004-001-10656.jpg

Italian-Castello

castello_old_antiquari_1__08135.1456326579.JPG

Reactions: garageboy
Status
Not open for further replies.