PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
To remain impartial, I won't give my opinion yet. I'm not even sure if these can be "faked" so there's also that.

ct3.jpg

ct4.jpg

Reactions: jpmcwjr

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
At a guess, the one on the right due to the softer engravings. It’s just a few pieces of bent and stamped metal pinned together into a cheap multitool, though, and I seriously doubt that being fake is going to impair its ability to smoosh down tobacco, scrape dottle, or clear a shank to any meaningful degree.

Thanks. I'll still use both but it seemed odd to me that there would be variants of this tool unless it's an open design that can be made by anyone. All I can decipher is that both of these were made in the Czech Republic since there are no brand markings otherwise.

The one on the left feels about 25% heavier and the "keeper ring" is much tighter.

The one on the right may have come with a pipe starter kit so if it's a "fake" then that would explain why, although I swear I bought the "genuine" one on the left for $3 so it's not exactly a high value item in the first place.

Reactions: Casual

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
What if the pipe nail turns out to be fake too?
I’ve used my finger before but now I’m not sure if it’s real. There’s no nomenclature at all. What’s the test?

(But really, I also made sure I got the Real Czech Tool, because I didn’t want cadmium-laden waste metal from unscrupulous fakers, as Olkofri suggests. We had a rash of cadmium containing children’s jewellery from the Usual Suspects a few years ago in Canada and it caused a stir.)

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I’ve used my finger before but now I’m not sure if it’s real. There’s no nomenclature at all. What’s the test?

(But really, I also made sure I got the Real Czech Tool, because I didn’t want cadmium-laden waste metal from unscrupulous fakers, as Olkofri suggests. We had a rash of cadmium containing children’s jewellery from the Usual Suspects a few years ago in Canada and it caused a stir.)
My fingers are all unstamped basket fingers. I've always just assumed that as long as they do the job, they're OK. Now I'm curious if they might be Dunhill rejects or something, and why they were rejected. Some are a little crooked and there are definitely some dings and scratches, so it might be for cosmetic reasons.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Somewhere I read an article that explained there are two current pipe tools available, one the classic Czech made version, and another from Asia. The Czech versions are so marked; mine is inherited down from my grandfather and dad, ordinary as it is. I think I have one or two of the Asian products too, but I agree, for shear simplicity, efficiency and low cost, the pipe nail is supreme -- effective and, because it costs nothing, almost impossible to lose.

Reactions: hairvise and mau1
Status
Not open for further replies.