Is JackKnife Plug Supposed To . . . SMELL LIKE ROTTING DEATH??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Lol not in my experience. I just finished a tin and it smelled like a combination of tangy, fermented VAs and dark-fired. Have you experienced that smell in any other blend?

I think it's fantastic stuff. Stout as hell, but not nearly as in your face as some of the Gawith dark-fired tobaccos. For all it's strength I find it to be pretty mellow and natural in flavor.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I agree. The tin note smells like old & rotten something to me. The smoke is fine, but it's tough to get past.
Glad to know it's "normal" I guess. As you said it smokes fine. I'm pretty ho-hum on strong dark-fired blends anyway but JackKnife hasn't done anything to make me improve my opinion.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
I'm not a major dark-fired fan but decided to try a tin of 2 year old JackKnife Plug. It smokes well enough, but Jesus wept . . . the tin aroma stinks in a very weird rotting fruit way that I don't understand. It's like rotting apples sitting out on Bourbon Street while a drunken hobo takes a dump nearby in an ally.

Is this essence of dumpster normal for JackKnife? Did I get a bad tin that's just about to turn to mold? (Note: I recently opened a tin of Temple Bar and found it covered in mold so now I'm nervous on GLP plugs)
I bought some of the original release and didn’t care for it.
Wow!! I’m glad I didn’t cellar a batch.

Reactions: BROBS and danimalia

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I tend to agree with your thoughts on the Kentucky, almost makes it to spicy for me. I favor perique vs Kentucky. Hope it mellows out with age, for the blends that are cellaring.

Reactions: BROBS

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Have you experienced that smell in any other blend?

Nope, which is what made me worry that something ungodly had happened to my batch.
I mean fruit notes are really common in a lot of tobacco, but it's the rot smell that has me worried.

I used to live in the French Quarter. This blend took me straight back to the reek of Bourbon Street, with all the palmetto bugs, rotting food, and weird street people.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Jar it up and leave it for a month. If it looks like a zombie humping a moldy dead rat I wouldn’t bother smelling it again but just place it gently in the nearest dumpster and walk away quickly - just in case the drunken hobo is still around.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
Gift it to a hobo?
It's good strong tobacco. The tin note has something that disagrees with my olfactory. Honestly, Black frigate also has something funky to me. I love the smoke, but I hold my nose when packing it. Weird. I'm always smelling things other people don't, so don't mind me. Judge it for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.