Is It Wrong to Love a Pipe... More Than Your Wife??

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
What a nice purchase! This exact form, the woman 'swimming' under a bowl carved as a flower or leaves, isn't uncommon as a subject with antique meerschaums; I've seen a few over the years. It's definitely an 1880s-1890s pipe; fully-figural designs lost favor around 1900 or so. It's likely, but not certain, that this pipe was colored with vegetable dyes (oxblood, dragon's blood, etc.) to give it coloration, as were many at that time, and the buyer's actual use of the pipe caused it to wear off, giving the two-tone look.
On most antique pipes having that horn-shaped insert, it wasn't a coloring bowl, but was for smoking a cigar or cheroot/cigarillo. The inside diameter will tell you which. S. Yanik makes new pipes which come with two inserts, a bowl and a cigar holder. It seems silly to a modern smoker to smoke a cigar with it pointing vertically, but holders of the late 1800s often pointed it vertically or diagonally upward-and-outward (Missouri Meerschaum's 1909 catalog shows miniature straight corncobs with reed stems for use as cigar holders, as well as straight cob cigar 'tubes').

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That's a fine pipe sir. Personally I would leave the comparison of wife to pipe to someone else. But I will add that my Straumbach didn't let me become a father.
As for the repair, a new stem shouldn't be *that* bad, can it?

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I haven't had one of those in quite a while. I love all my pipes more than my x-wife though!

flaneuse

Lurker
Nov 12, 2015
Personally, I wouldn't be that offended if a man loved his pipe more than me.
I can be a real pain in the ass sometimes... :wink:

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
It seems that my Helga is a triplet...a listing on Ebay...I wager he doesn't get that asking price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Continental-Meerschaum-Pipe-Nude-Woman-carving-in-original-Box-19th-Century/271739147147?hash=item3f44ea538b%3Ag%3ABUAAAOSwWKtUtCz5
Interesting to see the coloring and stem on her for comparison purposes. I've sent mine out to Walker pipe repair (he lives near me) for a stem. Once he gets around to it (he's got a backlog of a couple months) I'll send him these pictures for reference.
If I was a Turkish sheik, I could have a harem...But what masochist could handle more than one wife?
*no offence to any religions who may practice such beliefs*

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
here she is.
s-l1600.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My wife lets me smoke my pipe in HER jeep, and doesn't at mind the smell of Carter Hall, so I love them both equally.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Well...she is home from the doctor. She smokes as good as she looks (for 100 yrs old) My picture taking skills are amateur, but with a first pipe of Mixture 965, it's all good... She is smiling, as am I.
CRqdxlq.jpg
[/url][/img]
DOnSz9I.jpg
[/url][/img]
G1wJEaF.jpg
[/url][/img]

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Ha! No need for support as Helga is quite firm...A fondle however...I just can't help myself.
I hope I don't get sued by the Social Justice Warriors

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
It is a 'slip' fit in bowl...By the looks of the bowl 'burn-in', it has only been smoked with it in place. Sort of like a calabash, I guess.
It is 'original equipment', approx. 1" wide by 1 1/2" deep. I've never seen another, her sisters don't show one in their pics, probably lost in time. Maybe for a cigar? I would think it would smoke fine without it.
Anywho, I'm smoking with it in. I could take some more pics if anyone is curious.

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
As to the bowl, If I may clarify...there a three 'sisters' pictured in this thread.
Mine, another that sold at Christies in the '80's, and one that is currently on Ebay.
The one from Christies, I have no idea as it is not shown and no extra bowl or case was pictured or described at auction.
It seems from looking at the case, the one on Ebay never had the extra bowl.
From what I understand, these extra bowls were sometimes called 'coloring bowls' and sometimes cigars were smoked in them.
This was all before my time, maybe the old man in the mountain fellow above knows more...heh.

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
30 yrs been married. Smokin pipe 25 yrs. Pipe collection is worth approx 15K 0n ebay markets. I guess I would give em all away to keep my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.