Is it Safe to Leave Oxidation on Vulcanite?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't see oxidation as a safety consideration. However, it certainly leaves a pipe totally unappetizing to me. I was gifted with a Thompson Cigar house pipe, a fine piece of briar done as a handsome freehand, but the stem oxidized almost as soon as it was re-polished. I had a new acrylic stem made for it, tortoise shell replacing the original black Vulcanite, and it looks and smokes far better than before. Also the old stem had a version of a P-lip bit. I have one of those on a Peterson that I enjoy, but it retains its polish.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
if I choose to not retire this old Home Comfort, I’ll be seeking out a pipe restorer to make a better amber acrylic stem for this cob. The stems I’ve mail ordered so far have too big of a tenon.
View attachment 128108

Are you familiar with Forever Stems for Cobs? They are only acrylic...

Reactions: k o h l e w

k o h l e w

Lurker
Feb 11, 2022
. . . always mobile
Are you familiar with Forever Stems for Cobs? They are only acrylic...

THANK YOU ! This is a big help.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Baking soda and water, make a paste. Rub it into the vulcanite with fingers. Removed all oxidation easily. Make sure to do the entire stem. Then oil or wax. The oxidation was unsightly and beginning to irritate me.
Interesting technique. So, do you rub it on and then wipe it right off immediately?

Reactions: ofafeather

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Yup. Just rub it in, then wash it off. The oxidation comes right off. Immediately. After I did the oxidation on the lip, the rest of the vulcanite stem looked lacking so i did the entire stem. Took less than 30 seconds

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
No matter how I protect my vulcanite, I have a few pipes with stems that detest sunlight. There will always be some who will respond that they do not have this problem. So be it, they do not have these pipes. The two main offenders are both Charatan’s Make.
Charlatan used a lower grade and higher sulfur content Vulcanite which they imported from the US, according to Ken Barnes, who used to saw the sheets into rods when he worked at Charatan.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Charlatan used a lower grade and higher sulfur content Vulcanite which they imported from the US, according to Ken Barnes, who used to saw the sheets into rods when he worked at Charatan.
It appears to be the case. I have to be mindful of the Sun exposure. I keep them on display, but in a cabinet without any sun exposure.