Is it Safe to Leave Oxidation on Vulcanite?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Does vulcanite oxidize like rust on iron? Does it need to be attended to or can it be ignored? Will oxidation eat away at the material?
The amount of material that's oxidized, and by that I mean discolored from exposure to oxygen + sunlight not mouth crud, will continue to increase over time if the affected material is not removed. Once it is removed, sealing the surface with wax will retard it coming back.
Oxidized Vulcanite can impart an off taste from the sulfur in the Vulcanite.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Depending on the level of oxidation, you may need to physically sand it off to stop the spread. There's a difference between cosmetics and a structural restoration. Every restorer I've spoken with, from the late great Jim Benjamin, to RonnieB to George Dibos says the same thing.

If a stem gets severely oxidized the only real alternative to to replace it.

k o h l e w

Lurker
Feb 11, 2022
. . . always mobile
Surprised no one mentioned the article about vulcanite stem maintenance on SmokingPipes. The article is, of course like most articles on SmokingPipes, an advertisement for something they sell.
smokingpipes.com | Pipe Tobacco - https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/how-care-for-vulcanite-stems

smokingpipes.com | Pipe Tobacco - https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/how-use-obsidian-oil

I am curious to know if there is any special care needed for acrylic stems. After finding an old Home Comfort cob pipe from the Fifties (Missouri Meerschaum, 39 cents) in a closet on an island off the coast of Maine, I discovered that the draw hole in some stems are ridiculously small. I’ve put this acrylic stem through a lot —hot water treatment, olive oil extraction, 91% isopropyl alcohol, and last but not least 151-proof grain alcohol. Some of these methods really screwed up the surfaces of the amber acrylic. The good news is that this experimentation has convinced me that high-proof grain alcohol such as Everclear is the best way to unclog tar-choked stems. The not so good news is that, if I choose to not retire this old Home Comfort, I’ll be seeking out a pipe restorer to make a better amber acrylic stem for this cob. The stems I’ve mail ordered so far have too big of a tenon.
C5D4181D-DD1D-4773-843E-9010AE4267A7.jpeg

Reactions: ofafeather

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Surprised no one mentioned the article about vulcanite stem maintenance on SmokingPipes. The article is, of course like most articles on SmokingPipes, an advertisement for something they sell.
smokingpipes.com | Pipe Tobacco - https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/how-care-for-vulcanite-stems

smokingpipes.com | Pipe Tobacco - https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/how-use-obsidian-oil

I am curious to know if there is any special care needed for acrylic stems. After finding an old Home Comfort cob pipe from the Fifties (Missouri Meerschaum, 39 cents) in a closet on an island off the coast of Maine, I discovered that the draw hole in some stems are ridiculously small. I’ve put this acrylic stem through a lot —hot water treatment, olive oil extraction, 91% isopropyl alcohol, and last but not least 151-proof grain alcohol. Some of these methods really screwed up the surfaces of the amber acrylic. The good news is that this experimentation has convinced me that high-proof grain alcohol such as Everclear is the best way to unclog tar-choked stems. The not so good news is that, if I choose to not retire this old Home Comfort, I’ll be seeking out a pipe restorer to make a better amber acrylic stem for this cob. The stems I’ve mail ordered so far have too big of a tenon.
View attachment 128108
Alcohol is not advised for use with acrylics as it causes micro fractures in the material that will lead to structural failure over time. Invest in a shank brush to use with a mild detergent. It may take a few rounds, but eventually you'll remove the deposits.

Chocolatebars

Lurker
Feb 9, 2022
I have a ks savinelli in the mail but I bought it for smoking outside. Now I find out the sun might be a problem. So much for 1 hour smokes in the sun!

k o h l e w

Lurker
Feb 11, 2022
. . . always mobile
Yes! I acquired all the styles of Neerup brushes and am happy to have ‘em to put to work. Unfortunately, even the most slender of the brushes won’t enter this particular amber acrylic stem from the Fifties. Good I’ve got plenty other pipes to celebrate the day with.
Alcohol is not advised for use with acrylics as it causes micro fractures in the material that will lead to structural failure over time. Invest in a shank brush to use with a mild detergent. It may take a few rounds, but eventually you'll remove the deposits.
Okay, I’ll put the Method soap to work.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
When I played around restoring pipes I used oxy clean water solution for badly oxidized stems on cheap pipes . You can see the oxidation coming off. This will remove part of them stem and oxidation . Soak it in oxy clean water solution for an hour , aforementioned bristle cleaner scrub for inside , shine up outside, all set

Rubbing it hard with Wet magic erasers work for mild -medium levels of outer problems works pretty good.