Is It Possible For A WWI Dunhill Pipe To Exist?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Kind of an odd question but I was looking at the founding date of Dunhill vs. the timeline of WWI and it seems like it is possible for a WWI soldier to have carried a Dunhill pipe into action.

Actually locating such a thing and proving provenance are a whole other issue. Still, it would be an incredible pipe to have in a collection.

So has anyone ever heard of or seen such a pipe?

Reactions: Elric

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Dunhill pipe factory moved to its present location in 1916, so apparently pipes were in production. I surmise some pipes of the period still exist, but as prized historical items. Some of the Dunhill experts here may clarify this.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I recall hearing that the Dunhill shop was destroyed in the Battle of Britain, but that they kept selling pipes among the rubble. Supposedly this is a photo of Alfred Dunhill Jr. doing just that.

Closest I have to such a pipe is a 1899 BBB Own Make that I acquired in Germany. Unfortunately I don't know if the pipe saw action in either World War I or II nor which side it was on.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I must admit I have a bit of a fascination for pipes that went through these wars.

How must it have been for a young must to have just gone through hell, survived, and after the battle pull out his pipe, lit it, take a puff or two, and think to himself WTF just happened? ( I don't really know that anyone thought this but it's probably what I'd ask myself if I were in a similar situation.)

A pipe to help call the nerves after a situation that requires for more time than a single pipe allows to calm ones nerves and, unfortunately, more often than not was about all the time a fellow might get before getting thrown into another situation similar to what he had just gone through.

rogers

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 9, 2012
Reactions: shanez and Bowie

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Alzheimer’s- I already liked it, thanks! Rogers

Reactions: rogers and scloyd

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I recall hearing that the Dunhill shop was destroyed in the Battle of Britain, but that they kept selling pipes among the rubble. Supposedly this is a photo of Alfred Dunhill Jr. doing just that.
View attachment 15779

Closest I have to such a pipe is a 1899 BBB Own Make that I acquired in Germany. Unfortunately I don't know if the pipe saw action in either World War I or II nor which side it was on.
Looks like DeNiro in Angel Heart15814

Reactions: lightmybriar
Oct 7, 2016
Question was about WW One. The blitz was in WW Two. White Spot was put on stems in 1912. Shell Briar was patented in 1917. They sent tobacco and pipes to serving troops. Pioedia has lots of info re Dunhills early days.

Reactions: rogers

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
I have a 1918 gbd Xtra. Its an apple military mount, small bowled. When i got it, it looked like it had been barely smoked.

Reactions: rogers
Status
Not open for further replies.