PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
Hey all :)
Up to now I have been using a Zippo whenever I smoke, as it seems to be the only lighter I can find which is able to stay lit in the evil that is Irish weather. However I am really beginning to find the taste to be very off putting and is greatly reducing the enjoyment of my smoke. I have gone through multiple fuel types, left it lit for a while before drawing with it, but no matter what I just seem to constantly get the taste. This leads to me wondering would it be OK to use a jet torch lighter? I have seen from several other posts before that they can cause damage to the pipe if not used carefully, but noticed in the videos for the Frank method that he gets an excellent light off a torch from just holding it to the tobacco for a second.
Any help from far more experienced smokers would be great. I am a borderline broke university student so I can't afford to replace any ruined pipes at the moment. :P

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I use it all the time outside,just aim at center, yes it can damage, being careful is the ticket, invert lighter thumbing down flame size low but not too low because it will go out when you invert it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
IMO no, I would not use a torch lighter at all, and for multiple reasons!

1) It's very easy to damage the pipe.

2) A torch lighter is a very high temp, hard flame and will also have adverse effect on the taste of you're tobacco.
I might ask what brand of lighter fluid you are using in your Zippo, as I do notice a difference between Ronsonol and Zippo brands.

Pipes are best lit with soft flames, with the softest being matches, then Zippos, then a soft butane lighter such as a Bic. Anything hotter than that and you'll get into some problems.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I might add, some guys use it with much success. As Bradley noted, he uses one all the time. He also has a lot of high end pipes, and he takes very good care of them! I have a lot of respect for him and his opinions. He's got a lot more years of piping behind him than myself, as I only have about five years myself. Like I said, I respect what he says, I just don't trust myself with a torch lighter.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I wouldn't advise it for two reasons. The smaller issue is that it is so hot that it will scorch your tobacco on the initial light and affect the taste - this is one reason that matches are preferable if a possibility. The larger issue is that there is probably no easier way to burn through and damage your bowl that a jet lighter. That being said, if you need it, you need it but I would only use it with a "disposable" pipe. I have had the most luck with Bic lighters and Maryland weather isn't too far off from Irish I'd bet.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I use my Zippo 70% of the time and if I let it burn for a second or two before putting it to the baccy I get no ill effects. If I don't use my Zippo it's a DJeep.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
When I use the torch I only hit it for a second or two, flame being so hot it starts the tobbaco smoldering,don"t leave it long or the temp can alter IMHO the taste of the tobbaco,hit and run is how I put it,that being said for me a match or my old boy is my favorite,but outside sometimes that is impractical.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I prefer my Bic lighter as it doesn't taint the tobacco taste like my Zippo does at times. As for a torch lighter I would recommend against it. To much risk in burning/scorching your pipe.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
It seems like it may be worth trying one out on cob to see what the damage is like on something I will be disposing of anyway. As for fluid I am currently using Newport, used Zippo fluid before and was still quite strong, and have a canister of Ronsonol I haven't tried yet that hopefully will be an improvement. And jgriff Maryland would be heaven compared to a bad Autumn's day over here lol. I can't seem to find the decent angle flames Bics over here, any disposable lighters I find are the straight flames designed for cigarettes, useless for the pipe :/. Could anyone recommend a butane non-torch lighter that can hold up against the wind?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I forgot to add my real nice pipes I don"t take in the yard or porch, only my average pipes, the good ones I smoke inside, I call them my yard pipes, my Tractor pipes, that I smoke in the wind outside . Sorry I didn"t make myself clear.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
On some of our outdoor jobsites when we are putting in foundations we will get a small fire going. It keeps the lunches warm and gives the guys a place to warm their backs at break time. I have found the most effective way to keep my pipe stoked on cold wet windy days it grab an ember from the fire and use that. In fact the harder the wind blows the hotter the ember is. I came up with a modification to a pair of kitchen tongs and some metal screen to hold the ember just where I need it. As far as a torch lighter I nearly ruined one of my favorite pipes when I was at a friends who had a torch and was smoking a cigar. I will leave the torch lighters to the cigar guys and older pros.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
I would not trust myself to aim the lighter correctly so I always use matches to light my pipe.
When the weather is so foul that I have difficulty lighting up, I ask myself Why am I outside in the first place?
My pipe mentor could light his pipe with one hand whilst sailing in the most violent rain in the Irish Sea.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
Sounds like he would have to use matches made from the spear of the ancient Celtic war god to light in that..

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
I used a torch in the begining of my pipe smoking journey, but over time it messed my pipe bowl up pretty bad. I found a pipe lighter with a regular flame and it has the pipe tools attached to it. LOVE IT!
I prefer DJeeps over BiCs because they are adjustable, have a large fuel tank and cost me $1.29 each. I'll also use a BBQ lighter on occasion when it's handy and I'm in the yard.

I too have a lighter similar to Rothnh that I use as well!

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I'm in the "no" camp. I live in Oklahoma, it's very windy here. When I smoke outside I put my face/pipe inside my shirt, and have my match come from under my shirt which makes a nice little zero wind area. Hope the trick works for you :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Bradley also forgot to mention he is blind as a bat and does not see the fact he has charred a couple of inches off his rims. lol
I personally would never trust myself with a torch on one of my pipes, I am old and decrepit and my hands shake.

Status
Not open for further replies.