Is It OK Posting For Feedback On Perspective Pipe Purchases?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I know I have posted about 5 times regarding pipes I have considered to buy.
Is that a no-no?
Frankly it's a practice I may continue until I get a healthy stock of pipes or my PAD gets under control- or of course wifey notices we now are eating rice and beans suddenly.

Thanks for the previous help and just don't want to be an annoyance.
:)

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I believe that posting a link to an eBay auction (that is active) is a no-no. So, I wouldn't do that but a question about a particular pipe or even a call for experiences with a vendor? I believe that's ok. Just, whatever you do, watch that capitalization and punctuation! lol
Mike S.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
I believe that posting a link to an eBay auction (that is active) is a no-no. So, I wouldn't do that but a question about a particular pipe or even a call for experiences with a vendor? I believe that's ok. Just, whatever you do, watch that capitalization and punctuation! lol
Mike S.
I thought we had to use all caps for the 1st letter of our post titles? - when I did not they were changed.

So no link to active ebay because 1) it looks like I am selling something (I would never but that's me) or 2) someone else may snag it now? (not too cool for this group) --- or both? haha

Thanks

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
This is correct.

He is talking about capitalization and punctuation within the posts themselves.
OK thought so. I did not realize I was doing a lot of capitalization. I do often use hyphens and such but that is stuck in me from when I wrote a column. I have a punctuation publication nazi for an editor.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Yes, unless it's about Dunhill. Then you can still post but be prepared for a veritable shit tsunami of epic proportions the likes of which has never been see in the pipe world. You'll hear stories of how over priced they are that they actually not only sent some people into bankruptcy, they actually triggered the Great Depression and the 2008 Great Recession. You'll hear about because someone's grandpa bought a Dunhill, little Timmy couldn't get the polo vaccine he needed. You'll hear stories of quality control so horrible, just smoking a Dunhill actually killed one of their relatives because the pipe exploded and took their head clear off. You'll hear about how old Alfred was the leader of the luminatti and wants to bring the world into bondage. You'll hear about if you say Dunhill three times in a mirror, dead Alfred will arise from he'll and kill you! But go ahead and ask away about any other brand but when it comes to Dunhill, shhhh. That's the brand that must not be named.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it is most interesting when members briefly explain what they're are looking for in the proposed pipe purchase, and maybe mention, also briefly, two or three contending pipes, and pro and con on each. Just enough info to launch a discussion. Rather than -- I want to buy a Castello, to which everyone says, yes, that would be great.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

brunot

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2017
Slovakia
Yes, unless it's about Dunhill. Then you can still post but be prepared for a veritable shit tsunami of epic proportions the likes...

I laughed, I cried.

@OP: If you really want to get the pipe and it's not a general question, but a specific listing, I'd just look through the posts to see who's knowledgeable about what and shoot them a PM. Your query might be somebody elses hot tip.

I do love a good informational thread though, there's always a lot to learn.

Reactions: Bowie and cosgringo

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Well pipe smokers are a generous bunch (well some anyways).
Someone I've been dealing with and trying to help with research which is something I was great at when I was in IT-
well he just sent me $20 to help get a pipe. I felt bad taking it but he was insistant.
I've helped out plenty of folks at times like $ for their kids going back to school, charities, etc.- just surprised I got help to buy a pipe which I never asked for I assure you.

Cheers to pipe smokers I say!

Jan 27, 2020
Well pipe smokers are a generous bunch (well some anyways).
Someone I've been dealing with and trying to help with research which is something I was great at when I was in IT-
well he just sent me $20 to help get a pipe. I felt bad taking it but he was insistant.
I've helped out plenty of folks at times like $ for their kids going back to school, charities, etc.- just surprised I got help to buy a pipe which I never asked for I assure you.

Cheers to pipe smokers I say!

On the snuff forum a really generous member who I sent some snuff to (really a minuscule amount) when they were in a snuffless position sent me two unopened tins of SG when I told them I was getting into pipes. I’m not sure where else on the internet I would encounter such kindness.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
On the snuff forum a really generous member who I sent some snuff to (really a minuscule amount) when they were in a snuffless position sent me two unopened tins of SG when I told them I was getting into pipes. I’m not sure where else on the internet I would encounter such kindness.
I have not tried snuff since I was a teen. I am sure I knew nothing when I was buying/doing that. That sounds interesting- a forum on that one? Not that I am looking to do that- I have horrific sinuses.

Reactions: hauntedmyst
Jan 27, 2020
I have not tried snuff since I was a teen. I am sure I knew nothing when I was buying/doing that. That sounds interesting- a forum on that one? Not that I am looking to do that- I have horrific sinuses.

Snuffhouse, it’s a very low tech and friendly places. Some of the snuffs are awful on my sinuses, indulge a lot less and not so enamored with it since I got my pipe. Not sure if you’re in the US and only tried American snuffs but if so I’ve found them generally intolerable: English and Germany are where it’s at for me although many love Indian ones.

Reactions: rushx9

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago

I tried snuff a few times because we sold it at the pipe shop I worked at but I never understood using something that contributed to giving you boogers.