PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
I just purchased tobacco from a shop I have patronized in the past but will never visit again. The owner maintains a smoking room in the back of his establishment for cigar smokers who pay him a healthy monthly fee to store their cigars and for the use of the room as a smoking lounge. I filled my bowl with one his blends I was unfamiliar with to sample(witch earned me a side-eye from the owner)and headed for the smoking room to try out this unfamiliar blend. Now let me add that the room was empty at the time. I was confronted by the owner and told that the room was for his cigar(paying) customers only and I would have to light up outside. I tried to explain to him I was only planning to use the room long enough to sample my bowl of his tobacco and would be making a purchase shortly. I was told that rules(his) are rules and the room was for (paying) cigar patrons only. Well, due to the distance I traveled to get this store I made a modest purchase and left but not before informing the owner that while I respect his rule I have a rule too. NEVER PATRONIZE A BUSINESS THAT DOESN'T APPRECIATE MY BUSINESS. I will never ever return to this place of business again. Later after I returned home, fired up a bowl, and calmed down I wondered; was I being a little thin-skinned in this situation? What say ye brothers of the briar?

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
It would seem to me that having a smoking lounge with those restrictions would cause more that a few problems... I agree with you on this one!!

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I have to agree with you on this one. The guy was being a jerk and obviously prefers his cigar customers to pipe customers. I wouldn't go back either. But then, distance or not, I also wouldn't have made a purchase of any kind.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I have to agree with you on this one. The guy was being a jerk and obviously prefers his cigar customers to pipe customers. I wouldn't go back either. But then, distance or not, I also wouldn't have made a purchase of any kind.
Ditto!

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Wow. Unbelievable. I learned may years ago that one unhappy customer will cost you ten. I wouldn't have purchased anything and most certainly would never return. So I don't happen there one day, what town/city are they in? To that business I say :nana:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah I'd say any cigar & pipe shop that has a smoking lounge should have it open to anyone who wants to have a smoke. To only allow certain people to smoke in a smoking lounge is pretty rude, snobby, and classless. Definitely would not revisit that store again.

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I have to agree with what I have read. If he has a smoking room, it should be used as a smoking room, especially if he sells pipe tobacco. Also, with our current PC stuff, it could be that you would light up the pipe outside and immediately get arrested!

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
What say ye brothers of the briar?

I'd say that God obviously loves a**holes, since he made so many of them. Fortunately, the pipe community has many great sellers, some of whom sponsor this forum. Spend your money with those who appreciate your patronage and leave idiots like this to go broke through their own stupidity.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I would of told Him to kiss My A#@#@#$#@# and to stick His baccy in te same place. :crazy:

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
I agree with the whole "cigars allowed but not pipes" as that is ridiculous if he is selling pipe tobacco. But charging for use of the smoking lounge is commonplace here in central FL. Every B&M here has smoking lounges but they charge a monthly or yearly fee to use them. Is it not so, elsewhere? Because if not, then I'm moving! :eek:
Course, I don't really need a smoking room as I just got my own set up real nice in my insulated and air conditioned shed out back. It's actually really nice. And it's also my new recording studio.

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
My B&M here in Tennessee has no fees for using their smoking lounge. They just want you to come in smoke and enjoy yourself. No distinction between pipe and cigar smokers there either.

seanz

May 8, 2011
Southland NZ
that bites man i would have gathered up a small mountian of tobacco, then said nah! and let him put it all back :evil:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Every pipe and cigar shop I have been to in South Louisiana has a "smoking lounge", which is t say they have chairs and couches in the shop where folks can stop by and have a smoke, no charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.