Is It Just Me Who Thinks This Is A Bit Weird?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"You can't expect someone to act normal in an abnormal situation."

This is true JMcQ but it seems to be the behaviour of everyone nowadays though it is of course the sufferer's choice how they respond to such matters.

I suppose it could be likened to days past when one notified the world of a death in the family by making an announcement in the obituaries column of The Times.

Regards,

Jay.?

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Given the fact that I hate Facebook and will have no part of it, it is extremely odd to me to see this. However, to the people who use it every second of every day.....maybe normal for those people.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Given the fact that I hate Facebook and will have no part of it, it is extremely odd to me to see this. However, to the people who use it every second of every day.....maybe normal for those people.

I think we're in a time now where those of us who don't post on FB are considered the weird ones.

Reactions: gervais

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
After the terrible stabbings in Reading over the weekend, folks are being asked to join the Council's Facebook page for a minute's silence today at 10AM.....with all due respect how is that supposed to work?

"He said: "I offer my deepest condolences to the families of those killed. To our great sorrow, this includes an American citizen. Our thoughts are with all those affected."

People were invited to join the silence via Reading Council's Facebook page."

I can't help but wonder if Mark Zuckerberg is somehow making money from this type of post.

Most strange!

Regards,

Jay.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I regard FB as the spawn of Satan. But the meaning of posting tragedy on it is determined by the one who posts. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Although I am sympathetic with those who find certain posts or FB in general as repugnant,, I am powerless to make it/them otherwise, so I step aside.

newportpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2011
Newport Beach, CA
Three pipe forums, a tarantula forum, and an RC forum are as social media as I get. I've has friends and coworkers had their lives wrecked and jobs lost because of Facebook.
So true. I know of not one person in private or, public life that has received a promotion, raise, or any other net-positive gain using Twitter, FB, etc. Buried in the fine print is the “contract you sign” stating you no longer own what you just posted. It lives on forever and could be used against you at any time by someone that has it out for you or, a potential employer.

Horrible tragedy about that father & husband.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
It does seem weird but as others have said, people grieve in different ways. The other thing is Scotland has much tighter COVID-19 lockdown than England so he's possibly (probably?) not able to talk to friends and other family members face to face and if he's a habitue of FB then his digital friends are possibly the next best thing?

All that said I ditched FB years ago and agree that it's the span of the devil (I'm not a fan of Zuckenberg either). I also have the Firefox containers and FB security extensions loaded to stop him (and google) getting his grubby paws on my data.

Paranoid? Moi?

Reactions: canucklehead
Status
Not open for further replies.