PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoke bid

Lurker
Sep 22, 2024
Hi. I bought several pipes this year. The main reason? They keep burning holes in the briar.

I keep my tobacco on my deck outside. I am beginning to wonder if this is the problem.

I lost a Nording after one week smoking, I lost a Savinelli after one week. I lost a Peterson after one week.

Just last night my four month old Brigham burned a hole in the top lip edge of the pipe. I also bought a Roma which is looking after two smokes to be in trouble with a crack inside and a near hole too.

I of course have other pipes. There is no trouble. Several are more than a few years old.

But this is uncanny. I assume a good pipe can last for more than one week!

Smoke bid

Lurker
Sep 22, 2024
Are you buying them new, or are those estate pipes?
These are new pipes. I started inspecting them before I light them for defects. So far the last two were ok, but the Roma is an out. I have a new Baraccini which sits fine. I think overall I like my Stanwell. I just bought a second one and hopefully this might be now my brand of choice.

Like I said, there are about seven other pipes that did not do this and five are over three years to even ten years old. Uncanny. I think the seller has agreed to refund the first three.

Could leaving tobacco outdoors make it burn more harsh?

Sep 13, 2024
How unfortunate, I do notice some of my estates burn particularly "hot" and I try to be extra slow with them and yet some old estates can handle any tobacco cool as you like. So far from inspecting the briar etc I can't find any reason for this, in fact some of my more "prestigious" briars are my worst smokers and some no name ones have become my " go to". I think it's more art than science most of the time!

Smoke bid

Lurker
Sep 22, 2024
I'll also note I am using mostly bulk purchased tobacco and sometime more a pouch stored tobacco.

The Nording was a Signature Black pipe with the flat sitting bottom. The Savinelli was an Oceano Cherrywood pipe. The Peterson was a sandblasted Dracula dublin.

Basically, three very nice pipes.

Smoke bid

Lurker
Sep 22, 2024
Let's see some pics of these pipes.
Hole clean through back of Savinelli 3mm below the top. Hole in side of Nording on the right did not burn full as I stopped smoking it. But the outside buckled. And such a fine thick briar!

Hole in Peterson was midway down on the side by the back.

Top side of the Brigham begam a burn to cut the side.

Last edited:

Smoke bid

Lurker
Sep 22, 2024
Windy at times. I use a wind cap some of the time. Its not bad. We are not near the ocean.

I wonder if some of the tobacco burns harsher than others but still maybe it was just the new pipes.
Its been about eighty degrees and not too humid the past few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.