PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
So I bought a house-blend entitled "Squadron 8" and I have never tasted anything like it...
So far I have only smoked English and Virgina blends and this is entirely different...I am wondering if it is an aromatic.
It has a virgina like smell for sure. But I have noticed it is leaving my mouth with a slick almost oily feel. It is also very sweet, but not pastry sweet. Still tobacco sweet if that makes sense. Very mild, no bite at all. No nicotine hit either.
Since I have never smoked an aro before, I am wondering if there are any tell tale signs to know if that is what I got here...

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Virgina flake sweet but like amped up. Its really hard to explain taste.... :lol:
The oily slick feel in my mouth is whats really catching me off guard. Almost like a wet maduro cigar, if that makes sense to anyone here...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most aromatics have a distinct fragrance relating to their topping -- vanilla, walnut, whisky, rum or whatever it is.

If not in the pouch or tin, at least when you light it. If there is none, some other aspect, tobacco or casing, may

be imparting the tobacco's scent and oily residue. It doesn't sound altogether pleasant. This is a good reason to

buy new tobaccos (that you haven't tried before) in small quantities, an ounce or two, or better yet, sample them

at a pipe show or at some pipe shops that permit this.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
This is a good reason to buy new tobaccos (that you haven't tried before) in small quantities
That's exactly what I did. It's in a house sampler I picked up for around 9 bucks. Six 1oz bags. I told him I like English and Virginas and to load them up...but specifically told him I'm not big on the aromatics and berry cherry bash type flavors...
If this is Cavendish, I am going to be perusing a lot more of them. Because it is quite tasty actually. I guess I will call him and see what it is blended with or if it is a Lane rename.
I bought it from a BM called Bulldog Pipe & Cigar Co.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
So I called the pipe shop and he said its
"Red and Orange Virgina's mixed with a little black cavendish."
So it isn't cased, but man is it delicious! Guess I will have to find some similar blends to try!

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Yeah he said it isn't cased with a flavor. Just black cavendish to smooth it out and add sweetness.
I definitely will be perusing more similar tobaccos to break up my English and FVF's.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Probably, it is my understanding that most bulk blends have Prop Glycol in them.
My new venture after restoring my new estates will be finding some similar Virginia blends with black cavendish in a tin to try out.
Don't suppose anyone knows of a blend like that? :?:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
branzig:
"Virginia blends with black cavendish"
I would highly recommend that you try Rattray's Jocks Mixture and, if you can find it, Esoterica's And So to Bed. Both of these are favorites of mine.
Be aware, though, that these contain unsweetened black cavendish, which adds a nice roundness to the flavor but will likely NOT deliver the level of sweetness you're finding in your current blend. Given your description, I suspect that that black cavendish has been heavily sweetened. And I'm also guessing that there is very little red VA in your blend; it tends to deliver a tangy sharpness that, when pushed, can bite. Since you described no bite whatsoever, I'm guessing it's not a major component.
Finally, I noticed that Bulldog Pipe & Cigar heavily promotes their hookah business online. Is it possible that this is actually a hookah blend and not a pipe blend at all?
Bob

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
Given your description, I suspect that that black cavendish has been heavily sweetened.
I don't believe it is sweetened, above I said it wasn't a syrupy sweet or a sugar sweet, it is more a Virginia sweet but amped up with a smooth after taste. I suppose that it could be sweetened, but I still taste a lot more natural sugar than I do cased. Also it's funny you mention tongue bite, because I was smoking this blend yesterday outside. It was a little windy so I was puffing a bit more than I usually would but, nothing to over zealous, and the sucker let me know it! :lol:
Finally, I noticed that Bulldog Pipe & Cigar heavily promotes their hookah business online. Is it possible that this is actually a hookah blend and not a pipe blend at all?
No chance whatsoever. The store is broken up into 3 sections, one for pipes, one for cigars, and one for hookah. All the blends I got the sampler in the pipe section with the tinned tobacco and all his pipes for sale. Also, I have smoked hookah and this is not shisha.
Thanks for the recommendations! A lot of my buddies have been pointing me towards Rattray blends lately, I will have to give them a shot when I have an excuse to buy more tobacco! I have a lot right now and I don't really want to cellar... Wishful thinking I know :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.