PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Hi all, I'm a relatively new pipe smoker as well as an occasional lurker trying to gain some gems from all the knowledgeable folks here. I've learned a lot so far. I was enjoying a smoke the other evening and during some reflection started to wonder what makes a pipe a good smoker. So, HOW do you actually determine that a pipe is a good smoker, i.e. is there a set of criteria used? How do you compare pipes to decide if one smokes better than the other? Thanks in advance!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Like most things this is very subjective, however I think there are several traits that most of us would agree upon. A clean, good draw is essential, are the materials used of acceptable quality, what will be smoked in that pipe may determine wall thickness, length, and most of all shape.

There is no short or definitive answer here. Sometimes the pipe gods just smile upon you and you get the perfect match.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
As stated above, and I agree, a good clean draw is very important to the way a pipe smokes, I might even say, no matter what the pipe's shape. The great thing is, when a good smoke happens, you know it!

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Smooth draw, no gurgle, pipe gets warm but not hot, these are all factors I look for in a good pipe. Different shape work better with different tobaccos in that a large, wide pipe is my choice for aromatic and a narrower bowl for Virginias. Half the fun is finding the right pipe, the right packing method, those are all wonderful steps to enjoying this great passion of ours.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Thanks gentlemen. I've read where folks will cleanse their collection of poor smoking pipes and based on your responses, likely due to smoking hot, wet, etc. I have been fortunate to build a nice stable of pipes but have yet to find one that smokes poorly. Perhaps I am lucky or not very adept at telling the difference yet? How common is it to come across a poor pipe?

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I know that most of my poor smokers were the piper not the pipe. Over time my pipes have magically started to smoke better than when I first started.
That being said, I do have one that collects excessive moisture and needs a pass from a pipe cleaner once during a smoke.
I only have a few pipes, but the only true poor smoker was me.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Thanks Rob. Yeah, I've definitely had poor smokes sometimes after magical smokes from the same pipe. In hindsight those mostly happened because I rushed or let other things distract me. As you said, my experience has been that it is the indian, not the arrow.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have been fortunate to build a nice stable of pipes but have yet to find one that smokes poorly. Perhaps I am lucky or not very adept at telling the difference yet? How common is it to come across a poor pipe
As has been said here several times, it's 75% technique and 25% equipment. I've been collecting for a long, long time. I've found very few bad pipes, and some of those just needed a little bit of tweaking to improve their performance.
Smoking a pipe isn't rocket science, but there are a lot of variables involved besides the pipe. Different tobaccos perform better in one chamber shape, not so well in others. Some tobaccos require a certain amount of prep - breaking up and drying out - before they're ready to smoke.
Bad smokes aren't always caused by the pipe.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Yesterday (International Pipe Smokers Day) I smoked an artisan Preben Holm pipe and an Iwan Ries basket pipe. Both smoked well in part because the tobacco was the correct moisture and in part because I was smoking slowly and enjoying the moment. It is all more about timing and technique than the pipe. Good luck with finding your way, and here is hoping that you find the right technique. The pipe will surely follow.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
Thanks Sable. This has probably been touched on before but if I have a high-end artisan pipe, Dunhill, Castello, etc. then I shouldn't necessarily expect those to smoke better than a entry level Savinelli or Peterson? Of course this is excusing aesthetics and the like? I am trying to focus on the experience rather than the pipe per se while keeping my stable to a manageable amount in terms of number and currency (in the face of the terrible PAD).

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
This is one of the most controversial subjects in pipe smoking in my opinion.
All of the following is only my opinion.
When you spend that extra money, you are paying for attention to detail and cosmetics.
The engineering of pipe is pretty basic. The quality of that engineering isn't necessarily based on price. There are examples on both ends of the spectrum of both good and bad.
I like to think of pipes in different tiers. Price might be a basic guideline here, but it isn't the definitive qualifier. I'm thinking of the $10 pipe at a "Tobacco store" compared to a $30 dollar basket pipe from a true tobacconist. It isn't really a true comparison.
None of the money you are going to spend on a higher end pipe is being thrown away. the value you get for that money is going to vary based on personal opinion.
I think it comes down to something very simple.
The only real things to consider are what you like and what you want to spend.
While there are good pipes on all ends of the spectrum, what you are paying for as you go up the spectrum is fit and finish.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
The appeal of high end artisan pipes is largely aesthetic with smoking qualities a good distance behind although I'd venture to say that most artisan pipes smoke just fine. The thing is no one is going to spend one to five grand, or more, on a pipe only because it might smoke well. Purchaser pleasing aesthetics, the visible manifestations of the artisans craftsmanship that appeal to a given individual, are the critical factors. The smoking qualities of a pricey artisan pipe do matter but its aesthetics, and potential collectibility, are rather more relevant.

Mar 1, 2014
Ironically one of my most expensive pipes gurgles the easiest, but I'm not going to hold that against the pipe, it is aesthetically and mechanically perfect for what it is, I just need to find what works best with that design (That would be my Ashton).
The only time I have seen significantly lesser quality is in some $30 pipes from a small manufacturer in Eastern Europe, the tenons were a bit on the loose side (not wobbly, just easier to extract and roughly finished) and the drilling was all over the place (though still functional, just not centered or consistent).

I guess I should note that none of this makes a pipe smoke poorly, it just indicates the potential for problems (a loose tenon may eventually stop holding).
Chances are your cheapest Savinelli is going to be as good as any other.
Basically what you pay for above the $50 mark is fine details, polish/blasting, symmetry, lack of blemishes.

The debate on the preparation of Briar is endless.

That said I did get an Ashton because of what I have read about the way they treat their Briar, whether or not the oil treating has any significant effect on performance is debatable, but at least you know they have done everything imaginable to make the best pipe they can. You still pay for the name but at least in this case a lot of extra work comes with that in regards to the preparation of that pipe.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
My half a dozen pipes, ranging from a £3 MM to a £60 Blakemore (not exactly high end), all smoke fine.

I have found that my best smokes happen when I am doing something else and my mind is not focussed on "getting it right", it just happens.

Aesthetics and how a pipe feels in your hand also count, are you really going to enjoy smoking an ugly pipe that is uncomfortable to hold?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A good smoker is that or those pipe(s) which pack easily, draw smoothly, stay relatively cool to the touch, impart a pleasurable tactile experience from button to bowl, and deliver a tasty billow.

They can be cobs or Meers, or briar or clay, or pear, or olive or cherry, or whatever. The price really doesn't affect its performance, though it SHOULD reflect its craftsmanship, at least on the high end.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
If it gives YOU a cool, sweet, and long smoke, it is a good smoker.
If there is "anything" about a given pipe that annoys you, it becomes a "not good smoker" but that does not mean that you should give up on that pipe and toss it into the dustbin or fireplace. Plenty of "not good smoker" pipes change their smokability over time, or with new blends yet untried.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I think a good draw is the only major importance wall thickeness is good for blends that do naturally smoke hot. I think the biggest thing is the tobacco preparation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In addition to what's been mentioned, I like a pipe that is balanced in the hand and looks balanced. Also, some insulation in the bowl is good, so the pipe is easily handled when full of burning tobacco. A pipe gains points if it is light weight relative to its size, and in any case, light enough to clench at least while lighting it. Some pipes are simply not meant for clenching otherwise, but for lighting, it should not cause discomfort. The bit and stem should be comfortable. The bowl should be easy to load and ample for its size; small pipes have many good uses, but should be easy to pack, not impossibly narrow inside the bowl. A pipe should be designed to clean thoroughly without spending a great deal of time at it, and the stem should fit back in place easily and securely. Durability in all but the smallest stemmed pipes is a real plus, but you can't make a pocket pipe out of a Peterson Group 1 Rustique. Those are a few ideas that encourage me to recommend a pipe as a good smoker.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The basics of engineering, bit comfort and well-cured briar all contribute to a good smoker. Many pipes meet this standard.
Beyond that, artisan pipes, which I covet, are all about fit and finish, and given the amount of work that produces them, justify their price. But these are troublesome waters for most of us as we awaken yearnings that our income can't support. Some sites are adept in generating the culture of love for such pipes. They do an excellent job of presentation and teach the would-be customer everything he needs to know to want to buy their wares. But being business, upon whose success their livelihood depends, the bottom line is always money. Judging profit to be necessary and when it becomes greed is very difficult.
So the ground here is always the honest appraisal of one's pocketbook. Savinelli, Stanwell and Peterson make fine pipes inexpensively, as do many others.

Status
Not open for further replies.