Is GF Germain’s A Good Tobacco To Put In The Cellar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Hello; I was in a B&M at the weekend, picking up some cigars when I spied some Germain’s Medium Flake behind the counter. Knowing that any Germain’s baccy is generally rarer than hen’s teeth I thought I should buy some but, when I announced that I intended to cellar it for a few years, this caused quite the verbal kerfuffle.
The Tobacconist said that it was impossible to cellar Germain’s because of the high sugar content and that I would be “better off cracking into that tin tonight and get it smoked!” To which an elderly patron blurted out “What twaddle - I’ve been cellaring Germain’s for years; their ‘1820’ is unbelievable when it’s been left for a while…don’t listen to him!”
With all the backwards and forwards of the conversation, I inadvertently picked up a tin of Plum Cake by accident, instead of the medium flake - I didn’t realise that I had done this until I got home and saw the can and then said “bugger” as by this point I was 50 miles from the shop.
I have therefore found myself having to alter my initial question to ‘Is Germain’s Plum Cake any good in the cellar or should I pop the lid and get smoking?’

All answers and opinions gratefully received.

Thank you for reading - happy smokes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The guy talking about sugar content and cellaring has it backwards. Should be fine to cellar. You should know that Germain's considers cellaring unnecessary and that Robert Germain went so far as to refer to it as "fapping about". The reason is that the tobacco is already aged before release and that they consider it ready to smoke when released. Further aging won't hurt it, but you can also smoke it now.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I agree that cellaring is good for many blends, especially Virginias. In the case of Plum Cake, which I have had fresh and aged, I kinds lean towards fresh being better in this one case. Aros tend to perform better when fresh because the passage of time often causes the topping to fade. Aged Plum Cake, even if the tin seal holds, loses some topping after a number of years. The one benefit, if you consider it to be one, is that the tobacco matures some when that happens.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hello; I was in a B&M at the weekend, picking up some cigars when I spied some Germain’s Medium Flake behind the counter. Knowing that any Germain’s baccy is generally rarer than hen’s teeth I thought I should buy some but, when I announced that I intended to cellar it for a few years, this caused quite the verbal kerfuffle.
The Tobacconist said that it was impossible to cellar Germain’s because of the high sugar content and that I would be “better off cracking into that tin tonight and get it smoked!” To which an elderly patron blurted out “What twaddle - I’ve been cellaring Germain’s for years; their ‘1820’ is unbelievable when it’s been left for a while…don’t listen to him!”
With all the backwards and forwards of the conversation, I inadvertently picked up a tin of Plum Cake by accident, instead of the medium flake - I didn’t realise that I had done this until I got home and saw the can and then said “bugger” as by this point I was 50 miles from the shop.
I have therefore found myself having to alter my initial question to ‘Is Germain’s Plum Cake any good in the cellar or should I pop the lid and get smoking?’

All answers and opinions gratefully received.

Thank you for reading - happy smokes.
Step 1: do not listen to blowhard idiot pipe/tobacco shop owners. Many wouldn’t know their ass from mouth and even if they did there isn’t much difference.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Step 1: do not listen to blowhard idiot pipe/tobacco shop owners. Many wouldn’t know their ass from mouth and even if they did there isn’t much difference.
Sadly, you could be right as the same tobacconist tried to tell me that the broken wrapper leaf on one of the cigars he was trying to sell me “wouldn’t impair the smoking enjoyment.” Er…no.

Status
Not open for further replies.