PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
So what's "better" for a good, decent soap flavor, Ennerdale or Peretti's No Name? I've had neither one. I do remember the old Bourbon Street (once called Bond Street) having a strong soap flavor, which I initially found revolting. Then with successive smokes it grew on me, until I actually started craving it. I've always wondered if one of these might have the same effect. I can honestly say I like it, but it's obviously from another tobacco planet. I ask because I have an unopened tin of Peretti's in my cache--unopened, due to cowardice on my part.

Reactions: FurCoat

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
So what's "better" for a good, decent soap flavor, Ennerdale or Peretti's No Name? I've had neither one. I do remember the old Bourbon Street (once called Bond Street) having a strong soap flavor, which I initially found revolting. Then with successive smokes it grew on me, until I actually started craving it. I've always wondered if one of these might have the same effect. I can honestly say I like it, but it's obviously from another tobacco planet. I ask because I have an unopened tin of Peretti's in my cache--unopened, due to cowardice on my part.
Well your mention of No Name peeked my interest. I will be getting some soon. I need some more Cuban mixture anyway so now I have an excuse.

Reactions: burleybreath

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Maybe I am off, in my review of DFS here (Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Flake Scented Review :: Pipe Tobacco Reviews - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/gawith-hoggarth-dark-flake-scented-review.85224/) i see I noted pelargonium in DFS, we use it for fruit preserves in Greece. Never tried grasmere or kendal flake, Ennerdale if anything was MORE citrusy/bergamot upfront, and sweeter than DFS. Now I see that “rose geranium” is the colloquial name of Pelargonium. Hand in heart that’s the taste I get strongly from DFS (like 75% of the whole profile, i do get citrus but it’s part of the pelargonium profile, and no rose at all) but only like 30% from Ennerdale. For me Ennerdale is more bergamot+vanilla+floral and pelargonium at the end. If i was to describe pelargonium I’d say “tangy, sweet, resin, spicy citrus”.

That’s a great review even though I disagree with it, it’s very well done. That is very strange that you get a whole bunch of rose geranium whereas I get absolutely none, I don’t think I could smoke it anymore if it did. Thanks for sharing. The only thing I can think is that there are different versions of Dark Flake, I mean I’ve seen at least 3 or 4 different variations of it. I don’t even think they call it, “scented” in the states anymore, I believe it’s called, “Dark Flake Aromatic” which says it’s flavored with licorice, maple & tonquin bean, which I also strongly disagree with.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
No Name taste to me like someone literally sprayed a perfume onto a tobacco mixture, it has no real character. Ennerdale has a very unique character in my opinion.

I used to like No Name and their other perfumed blend early on, now I can’t stand them.

If you all are disappointed in the latest releases of GH&Co’s scented blends, try some of HU’s, I think they do it even better than GH&Co.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
That’s a great review even though I disagree with it, it’s very well done. That is very strange that you get a whole bunch of rose geranium whereas I get absolutely none, I don’t think I could smoke it anymore if it did. Thanks for sharing. The only thing I can think is that there are different versions of Dark Flake, I mean I’ve seen at least 3 or 4 different variations of it. I don’t even think they call it, “scented” in the states anymore, I believe it’s called, “Dark Flake Aromatic” which says it’s flavored with licorice, maple & tonquin bean, which I also strongly disagree with.
Thanks, i linked it because I wanted your opinion :) I think we have some tastes in common.

I think “scented” and “aromatic” are the same thing. I don’t get any liquorice (which I abhor), maple or tonquin (both of which I love) - checking my own review I see I said the same back in the summer, and stand by it now - a big blast of the geranium :)

I wouldn’t really trust TR descriptions when it comes to Gawith flavouring, apart from the glorious 1792. I would trust Jim, yet Jim picks out all three of the above plus geranium…go efing figure…we’re all different, I’ll just stick to saying it tastes different from Ennerdale, and that I like them both a lot!

Last edited:
Reactions: hawky454

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Thanks, i linked it because I wanted your opinion :) I think we have some tastes in common.

I think “scented” and “aromatic” are the same thing. I didn’t get any liquorice (which I abhor), maple or tonquin (both of which I love) - checking my own review I see I said the same back in the summer, and stand by it now - a big blast of the geranium :)

I wouldn’t really trust TR descriptions when it comes to Gawith flavouring, apart from the glorious 1792. I would trust Jim, yet Jim picks out all three of the above plus geranium…go efing figure…we’re all different, I’ll just stick to saying it tastes different from Ennerdale, and that I like them both a lot!
You are absolutely right we are so different, who knows, maybe whatever other flavor is put in there masks the geranium part to me and making it taste more like a singular floral like rose to my palette but I do enjoy having these conversations, it gives us different perspectives on it.

I agree, we have similar tastes.

Reactions: karam

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
No Name taste to me like someone literally sprayed a perfume onto a tobacco mixture, it has no real character. Ennerdale has a very unique character in my opinion.

I used to like No Name and their other perfumed blend early on, now I can’t stand them.

If you all are disappointed in the latest releases of GH&Co’s scented blends, try some of HU’s, I think they do it even better than GH&Co.
Never had that one, and likely never will, but I'll borrow how you describe Ennerdale, and would expand to cover all "Lakelands", they have something completely different from other tobaccos with added flavourings.

Substance, harmony, everything works just perfect. Not a big aromatic smoker at all so my opinion is of limited credibility, but anything non-Gawith that I smoked so far is somehow without substance, or some disharmony where you can taste the additives on top of the tobacco - if you taste the tobacco at all - the scenting disappears after a few puffs, whereas with Gawith it's always harmonious, the tobacco is strong and chewy, the scenting stays for the length of the bowl, and is deeply satisfying.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If anyone wants to put their toe in the water with Lakelands, I would order a tin of St Bruno Flake from smokingpipes. When it first came out on the American market I tried it and enjoyed it as there was just the tinniest hits of floral that I believe will age into something else after 8-10 years. I took a flyer on 100 tins so I put my money where my mouth is. My stash will turn 6 years old on April 1 2016. I have not tasted this blend since.

Reactions: SBC and karam

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
There was one Dark “anything” Rose Geranium.
When Glyn was hot and heavy at GQ he had GH make him a Rose Geranium Plug.
It was a short, but glorious run.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
If anyone wants to put their toe in the water with Lakelands, I would order a tin of St Bruno Flake from smokingpipes. When it first came out on the American market I tried it and enjoyed it as there was just the tinniest hits of floral that I believe will age into something else after 8-10 years. I took a flyer on 100 tins so I put my money where my mouth is. My stash will turn 6 years old on April 1 2016. I have not tasted this blend since.
You’re in for a treat, this stuff ages remarkably. The hint of floral will still be there but the flakes will get darker and the taste will have more depth to it. All my tins are from Jan 2016, all my pouches are from May of 2016.

Reactions: SBC

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
There was one Dark “anything” Rose Geranium.
When Glyn was hot and heavy at GQ he had GH make him a Rose Geranium Plug.
It was a short, but glorious run.
Yeah, I do remember that now that you mention it. GQ doesn’t sell it anymore? Man, I miss the days when we could order from that shop when Glynn was still there.

Reactions: jpberg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Well your mention of No Name peeked my interest. I will be getting some soon. I need some more Cuban mixture anyway so now I have an excuse.
I think the other one they have (that I know of) is their Original Mixture, both are heavily perfumed. Tastes like LLRR dowsed with some Chanel or Guerlain old rich lady perfume to me. To be clear, I don’t think any of the GH&Co’s Lakeland’s have this type of perfume flavor they are more like mixed essential oils and their “sauce” is very well thought out and each Lakeland has a different taste profile. If anything ever tasted perfumey or soapy to me, the Peretti blends fit the bill, so if soap/perfume is what you are looking for, those two blends will scratch your itch.

Reactions: FurCoat

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I think the other one they have (that I know of) is their Original Mixture, both are heavily perfumed. Tastes like LLRR dowsed with some Chanel or Guerlain old rich lady perfume to me. To be clear, I don’t think any of the GH&Co’s Lakeland’s have this type of perfume flavor they are more like mixed essential oils and their “sauce” is very well thought out and each Lakeland has a different taste profile. If anything ever tasted perfumey or soapy to me, the Peretti blends fit the bill, so if soap/perfume is what you are looking for, those two blends will scratch your itch.
I'll probably put an ounce to try on my next order. I'm up for anything. I got an ounce of Frosty Mint last Sutliff sale just to see what the hype was about, although it was negative. I may not like them but a least can say I tried them. I appreciate you putting Original Mixture on my radar.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Never had that one, and likely never will, but I'll borrow how you describe Ennerdale, and would expand to cover all "Lakelands", they have something completely different from other tobaccos with added flavourings.

Substance, harmony, everything works just perfect. Not a big aromatic smoker at all so my opinion is of limited credibility, but anything non-Gawith that I smoked so far is somehow without substance, or some disharmony where you can taste the additives on top of the tobacco - if you taste the tobacco at all - the scenting disappears after a few puffs, whereas with Gawith it's always harmonious, the tobacco is strong and chewy, the scenting stays for the length of the bowl, and is deeply satisfying.

This is extremely well written, Karam.

I smoked American aros for a couple years, maybe a decade ago, and then moved on to Aro-English, then Balkan, and lately to VA tobaccos. I have very rarely tried an aro since (however, I did just have a bowl of Boswell's "Christmas Cookie" yesterday, since my wife had it around for her RYO cigarettes -- she does not smoke a pipe but smokes RYO in a classy, Audrey Hepburn style holder -- and my kids asked me to smoke something more "Christmas-y" when cutting down our Christmas tree on the first Sunday of Advent).

Ennerdale is the first Lakeland I've tried, and based on reviews of it and other Lakelands (and what I know of my own preferences), it's almost certainly the one I want to stick with.

Although it's wildly aromatic, I'd refuse to call it an aromatic, simply because that would classify it with tobaccos that it could never reasonably be classified with for the reasons you articulated so well. The scents/flavors do not come alongside the tobacco, nor on top of the tobacco, but rather are united with the tobacco into one, indivisible whole. The scents/flavors present themselves as naturally as the scents and flavors of the tobacco itself: they are organic and natural, and if I didn't know better, I'd assume that they were botanical properties of tobacco. And unlike aromatic tobaccos (for which the tin and room notes agree, while the taste does not), the tin note and taste agree, while the room note--although pleasant--does not.

Ennerdale was an epiphany that broke into my cosmos from an alternate tobaccoverse.

However, if any readers have not tried it before, and are considering buying some from the next drop, I should clarify that it is in fact terrible. You should not buy it. Spend your money elsewhere. I'll deal with this Ennerdale crap myself.

• Love
Reactions: karam and Tar Wheel
I think I need to re-iterate... If someone has tried this one in the past and thought it was "scented" and not an aromatic, in that it wasn't goopy. There is no telling what you will get on your next order of Ennerdale. Mine is as goopy as any Sutliff or Lane blend. There was absolutely no rose geranium, and nothing that would remind me of a Lakelands, and I love many Lakelands blends.

In that last thread where the guys were waxing about this one just after it had dropped, I came on there to say that i had bought some, and no one had mentioned that it was a straight up aromatic. I was disappointed.

I won't be rolling the dice again. because I fear that they would put the rose geranium back. And, that is my least favorite Lakeland aroma.

What I got was like every chewing gum and bubble gum flavoring rolled into one, and it was sopping wet with it. If you don't like aros... well... maybe the next batch will be more lakelandy... who knows with GH&co or SG these days.

But, it gets confusing talking about this one with those who have only had it in the past. It took me a while to realize that we were all talking about completely different things, and this would be my biggest criticism of GH&co... be f'n consistent!!! Stop meandering around with the sauces and what goes on what like drunken airline employees with our luggage. Even a bunch of pimple faced 16 year olds in a fast food box can crank out better consistency than them.

• Sad
Reactions: SBC

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
this would be my biggest criticism of GH&co... be f'n consistent!!! Stop meandering around with the sauces and what goes on what like drunken airline employees with our luggage. Even a bunch of pimple faced 16 year olds in a fast food box can crank out better consistency than them.

Let's get a petition going. Seriously.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore