PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
A forum member recently sent me a generous sample of Ennerdale. I went from being weirded out by the tin note, to being weirded out + impressed by the first bowl, to wondering what was happening to me by the second bowl, to admitting that I was in love by the third bowl.

I know that it's one of those tobaccos that gets gobbled up by the major online retailers within minutes. But I also know that such tobaccos often sit for long periods of time on the shelves of backwater B&Ms.

So my question is:
Do any of you happen to know of any backwater B&Ms sitting on Ennerdale right now? If so, would you PM me their contact info?

Thanks!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
At the last GH drop, they had enough ennerdale 500g boxes for it to remain in stock for a fortnight or so. I'd save my pennies and wait for the next drop if I were you. And while you're waiting maybe see if you can try some of the other blends - bosun plug has become a favourite. I also see both SG grousemoor and Kendall creme deluxe are in stock at pipesandcigars.com (if you use them)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If your sample wasn't from this year, you may be disappointed in what's bring called Ennerdale now. The supply from the last two drops was nothing like it had been before. The rose geranium flavoring was a mere shadow of its former glory. I have jars of it from 2015 where the flavoring is still stronger than the recent drops.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I know that it's one of those tobaccos that gets gobbled up by the major online retailers within minutes.
It and most of the other blends were in stock for two weeks during the last drop.

Reactions: SBC

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
A forum member recently sent me a generous sample of Ennerdale. I went from being weirded out by the tin note, to being weirded out + impressed by the first bowl, to wondering what was happening to me by the second bowl, to admitting that I was in love by the third bowl.

I know that it's one of those tobaccos that gets gobbled up by the major online retailers within minutes. But I also know that such tobaccos often sit for long periods of time on the shelves of backwater B&Ms.

So my question is:
Do any of you happen to know of any backwater B&Ms sitting on Ennerdale right now? If so, would you PM me their contact info?

Thanks!
Can’t comment on where you can find it in the US, but perhaps more importantly, do we have another Lakeland convert?

Edit: love your description of the experience, and can echo it almost to a T, my first contact with Lakelands was with Bob’s and Conniston Cut Plug, first sniff was “WTF is that?”, then got hooked from the first bowl.

Also can’t comment on the saucing, i have some on order, the last time I smoked some was a few years back so should be able to compare.

Edit: Bosun plug, never seen that, or Conniston plug for example. Logic says that where there is a flake a plug preceded it, but haven’t seen many of these available in plug form.

Last edited:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
If your sample wasn't from this year, you may be disappointed in what's bring called Ennerdale now. The supply from the last two drops was nothing like it had been before. The rose geranium flavoring was a mere shadow of its former glory. I have jars of it from 2015 where the flavoring is still stronger than the recent drops.
Chasing Embers is right. The new Ennerdale Flake is like smoking a very faded Rose Geranium fart!

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
At the last GH drop, they had enough ennerdale 500g boxes for it to remain in stock for a fortnight or so. I'd save my pennies and wait for the next drop if I were you.

Good to know!

Well this is a let down. Maybe there have been enough complaints that the next batch will return to what it was? Will just have to wait and see.

It and most of the other blends were in stock for two weeks during the last drop.

Thanks for confirming this.
Btw, about how frequent are these drops? Are they somewhat predictable?

do we have another Lakeland convert?

It seems so! I certainly never set out to be, but oh boy...
i have some on order, the last time I smoked some was a few years back so should be able to compare.

Would be interested to hear your comparison.

Logic says that where there is a flake a plug preceded it, but haven’t seen many of these available in plug form.

Right, you'd think it would make sense for a company's bottom line to remove a step from the process for a portion of your product if a portion of your consumer base would buy it that way. That should decrease production costs a bit.

The new Ennerdale Flake is like smoking a very faded Rose Geranium fart!

How encouraging...

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Right, you'd think it would make sense for a company's bottom line to remove a step from the process for a portion of your product if a portion of your consumer base would buy it that way. That should decrease production costs a bit.
Not sure if that’s the case, Gawith plugs don’t fit in tins so they’d have to be just bulk, there’s bound to be wastage, i think (broken) flake is probably more economical.

I’ve been finding GH&co to be a roll of the dice lately. But, I do admit to liking this last Ennerdale at least a tad better without any rose geranium, which has me reluctant to order any more, just in case they put that shit in the next batch. Blech!
The last batch wasn’t a Lakeland by my definition. It was a straight up aromatic.

That’s the problem, if you liked this batch, you may never find it again. Bait and switch.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Let’s see, should have some on Monday. Frankly though for me the rose geranium bomb is Dark Flake Scented, Ennerdale certainly has it, but it has a lot more stuff competing, I’d say it’s sweeter.

Karam, do you believe that what you're receiving on Monday will be of the same batch as that which our next American drop will be of?

If so, I'm extremely interested to hear your feedback before spending much on the next drop here.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Chasing Embers is right. The new Ennerdale Flake is like smoking a very faded Rose Geranium fart!
I wonder if they make up a special order of all the different tobaccos just for an American shipment and for some reason they didn't put enough sauce on the Ennerdale?
I bought some here in England a couple of months back but I didn't try it yet as I find it really improves with a year plus of aging in the jar.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Let’s see, should have some on Monday. Frankly though for me the rose geranium bomb is Dark Flake Scented, Ennerdale certainly has it, but it has a lot more stuff competing, I’d say it’s sweeter.
Personally speaking, I don’t taste any rose geranium in Dark Flake Scented, to me it’s more of a bergamot/rose. My ex wife used rose geranium for everything to herbal remedies to cleaning supplies, I’ve grown to really dislike it as much as I dislike her. I can taste it strong in Ennerdale, Grasmere, Kendal Flake and a handful of others in G&H tobaccos but not in DFS. Try HU’s Great Dixter for a real strong dose of pure rose geranium. I think people misreference rose geranium all the time, I even hear people say it’s in St. Bruno & Condor which it most certainly is not. Rose Geranium is more herbal/medicinal to my palate than it is floral. These companies use more than rose geranium to add floral notes to their tobacco.

Granted, in full truth, I have no idear what they use in Condor and St. Bruno but I strongly feel like I could tell if even the slightest bit of it was used in the recipe, that stuff is unmistakable, we will likely never know. Although there is a cryptic version of St. Bruno’s sauce on the interwebs somewheres.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Karam, do you believe that what you're receiving on Monday will be of the same batch as that which our next American drop will be of?

If so, I'm extremely interested to hear your feedback before spending much on the next drop here.
I will writewhat it’s like, but I have no idea how long its sat with Synjeco, could be months, could be a year. Either way embers said last two drops, this means product of the last 12-18 months, so it’s likely that synjeco won’t hold something older.
Personally speaking, I don’t taste any rose geranium in Dark Flake Scented, to me it’s more of a bergamot/rose. My ex wife used rose geranium for everything to herbal remedies to cleaning supplies, I’ve grown to really dislike it as much as I dislike her. I can taste it strong in Ennerdale, Grasmere, Kendal Flake and a handful of others in G&H tobaccos but not in DFS.
Maybe I am off, in my review of DFS here (Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Flake Scented Review :: Pipe Tobacco Reviews - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/gawith-hoggarth-dark-flake-scented-review.85224/) i see I noted pelargonium in DFS, we use it for fruit preserves in Greece. Never tried grasmere or kendal flake, Ennerdale if anything was MORE citrusy/bergamot upfront, and sweeter than DFS. Now I see that “rose geranium” is the colloquial name of Pelargonium. Hand in heart that’s the taste I get strongly from DFS (like 75% of the whole profile, i do get citrus but it’s part of the pelargonium profile, and no rose at all) but only like 30% from Ennerdale. For me Ennerdale is more bergamot+vanilla+floral and pelargonium at the end. If i was to describe pelargonium I’d say “tangy, sweet, resin, spicy citrus”.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawky454 and SBC

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@hawky454: You are right in that there is no Rose Geranium in Condor. Growing up I used to joke that they used Fairy Washing Up Liquid in the stuff to flavor Condor. I have no idea what they put in Condor back in the old days (BPC - Before Poland Condor) and we even tried to replicate it with War Horse Green, that one really didn't work out as planned - not! Rose Geranium, Heliotrope and the stuff used in RB Plug tend to get bunched together and are very much an acquired taste. Remember 'back in the day' they were using Empire Grown tobacco and these additives were the difference between something bearable and something that made you feel like a consumptive after smoking a few bowls of the stuff.