Is Compression Necessary To Marry Flavors?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pressure wouldn't be used if it didn't have an important effect on making flavors meld. That being said, plenty of great mixes can be had by simply putting loose tobacco together and mixing it well. Sometimes letting these loose mixes "age" for a while enhances the mix, but often just mixing and smoking work fine. Would the same mix become far better if put under pressure? Sometimes, and other times probably not. I haven't experimented with pressure, so take it for what it's worth, but I often enjoy mixing a little of this and that, in a considered way, and have had some good results.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
FWIW - many commercial mixtures are “pressed” in the tin. The typical vacuum sealed 50g tins on ribbon cut mixtures are compressed. Others, with the pull top tin allow more air space and don’t compress the tobacco to the same extent. Both work. C&D used pressing for many years before they were making flakes. A few blends were sold as crumble cakes but most others were available to purchase pressed for a few dollars extra per pound.

Reactions: MattRVA

ncshawn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Raleigh, NC
I find pressed tobacco gives a more singular flavor than if it was left loose. Make a batch and put some of it in a noodle press for several weeks or months, then compare. You may find you like both versions.

Reactions: ofafeather

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Is this what you mean by a noodle press?
View attachment 87693
Yep, though you can make larger ones with steel tubing and a couple of THICK steel discs/caps (they will bend/crush under pressure if less than 3-4mm thick), and press with a few heavy duty c-clamps. Make sure you line the interior and caps with greaseproof paper so you can remove your plug/puck easily otherwise it's a pain. It's amazing how much tobacco can compact if you put some muscle (and some cheating with wrenches etc) to it.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

SoulStation

Lurker
Oct 2, 2021
Eastern KS
I've been experimenting with a combo of Sutliff stoved va's & Five Brothers. I don't care for the 7bs by itself, but I love them together. Now I'm on the hunt for other similar combinations.
I use a woodworking bench vise in my garage to compress tobaccos. It works pretty good as long as I don't do it when it's especially hot or cold. It is a trick finding what to put it in before compressing. I've used old pouches, but I haven't found a better container. Any ideas?

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I understand home mixing and then pressing to merry flavors and creating a plug or crumble cake.

I'm intrigued and am beginning to sample (and enjoy) crumble cakes. Also, I have some plugs that I will be trying soon.

Out of curiosity, do you only press mixed blends or will doing the same with one blend have a similar effect flavor wise (aside from creating a cake)?

I'm also considering stoving some blends soon. Both sound like a decent weekend project.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Do you think vacuum sealing tobacco would aid in this at all?. It really compacts the the products when sealed
Vacuum sealing would compress the tobacco but also remove the air, which I believe also aids in the development of the tobacco flavor over time. I've heard others on here mention vacuum sealed, aged tobacco tastes similar to the fresh, although I have no first hand experience with this.