PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
I have a Savinelli 606, Boswell Poker, Boswell nose warmer, a cobb and a briar carving I'm working on. I will never have a ton of pipes. I want to expand the small collection with a sampling of different pipe styles and manufacturers. I was wanting to add a larger classic Petersen. I was thinking "Sherlock" or a Dublin, then I saw Petersen System. If I wanted to try out a Petersen to see what the rave is, would it be a system pipe or no?

Reactions: Latakia Dave

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
The full bore system would be a classic, yes. It was their big claim to fame patent. However, for all the Petes I own, I’ve never had one. I’m not a big fan of the “P” lip personally. The rave is generally that they make an attractive looking, great smoking pipe. And at a good price for entry level, and then prices go up to fairly pricey.

For my money a good starting place would be in the Aran or Donegal range.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I agree with Warren. Define classic then let the arguments begin lol. For me I'd think something that mimics or is their first pipe offerings. So i guess that would mean pre-system and pre- P-lip. Having said that, I like and smoke them all!

clynch

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2013
Pensacola Florida
Perhaps I'm asking the wrong thing. I'd like to get my first Petersen. Any reason why I should or shouldn't buy a system Petersen as my first Petersen? My local B & M has a few and he is getting a bunch more in next week. The system does look like it might be a pain to clean out that extra drilled chamber but it might be cool to smoke it.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
If you are looking at Peterson, and want to try System pipe, yes. But if you are just looking at the outside of the pipe, System pipe isn't exactly necessary.

System pipes do smoke somewhat dry, but if you already have the needed technique, it isn't necessary.

Peterson is known for P-lip and System pipes. If at all possible, get vulcanite stem with P-lip. They are most comfortable. Acrylic works, but for whatever reason, acrylic P-lip feels slightly chunky and not as refined.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
About half of my smokes are with System pipes. I love them, but care and feeding is a little different with these critters. I'm happy to offer pointers if you settle on one instead of a regular Peterson.

Reactions: clynch

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I have a Peterson System Standard, I like how the pipe looks and the P lip is great for clenching (I like a substantial button), but the verdict on how it smokes is still out. Some say the P lip is gimmick and the claims of better smoke delivery are all not that special and I would say I am for now in the same camp. Sidenote is that I have not yet smoked it enough to get a good hang of it. But furthermore I think it's a quality product.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I like a bent Pete and prefer a P-lip system in a Pub size, or either an XL305 or 305 style when I want a long smoke and might drop them (yard work, taking a long bath or in the hot tub whenever I get around to filling it again LOL!). I may grab a bent Pete fishtail stem (plain stem) from time to time before heading out on a longer hour or two drive if I've recently smoked one of the system P-lips, for a change.

If your curious about smoking a P-lip system, get it. You'll always wonder what it's like. otherwise. My two cents--worth about that LOL! :))
kindly
mike

Reactions: edger

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
I have a Savinelli 606, Boswell Poker, Boswell nose warmer, a cobb and a briar carving I'm working on. I will never have a ton of pipes. I want to expand the small collection with a sampling of different pipe styles and manufacturers. I was wanting to add a larger classic Petersen. I was thinking "Sherlock" or a Dublin, then I saw Petersen System. If I wanted to try out a Petersen to see what the rave is, would it be a system pipe or no?
For what it’s worth, this is their definition…..
Peterson.ie: Classic Pipes - https://www.peterson.ie/pipes/classic/

Reactions: paulfg

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
so they state classic range is a NON system pipe

Our Classic range represents non-System pipes crafted for the Everyman, unique and timeless designs that capture our House Style and quality craftsmanship at a price any smoker can enjoy
….that’s what they say.
BTW, cracking profile pic?
I used to race solos back in the 80’s, outfits were always terrifying looking things ?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
….that’s what they say.
BTW, cracking profile pic?
I used to race solos back in the 80’s, outfits were always terrifying looking things ?
thanks
I raced vintage pre85 twinshock sidecars.
that picture is of a 880cc yamaha EML
.big bore Yamaha xs650 engine,EML built in Holland chassis.
I prefered my 920cc Norton Wasp, engine big bore norton commando and English built Wasp chassisnorton.jpg

Frasermac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2020
thanks
I raced vintage pre85 twinshock sidecars.
that picture is of a 880cc yamaha EML
.big bore Yamaha xs650 engine,EML built in Holland chassis.
I prefered my 920cc Norton Wasp, engine big bore norton commando and English built Wasp chassisView attachment 119763
Fantastic (and pure mental ?)
Rode Suzuki 250’s for nearly a decade then a brief dabble with a Honda XR on enduro. Miss it (although the body doesn’t ?)

Reactions: Ettrick puffer

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
There are number of things involved in Peterson System. P-lip and water trap are just two of them. Other two are narrowing of draught in the stem from tenon to the button, and extension of tenon below the draught in the shank. All these work together to remove moisture from the pipe and collect them in the trap. It works fine and some notice drier smoke. But is it necessarily better? That's up to the individual smoker.

Reactions: clynch