PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
My theory is engineer. He tests his ideas, he eschews heuristics for measurements, and he practices pedantry like a lifestyle. The sheer persistence with which he reminds people that they can put their location in their profile suggests he has a seat on the spectrum next to mine. The seat is probably even labelled with his name. :LOL:
My theory is engineer. He tests his ideas, he eschews heuristics for measurements, and he practices pedantry like a lifestyle. The sheer persistence with which he reminds people that they can put their location in their profile suggests he has a seat on the spectrum next to mine. The seat is probably even labelled with his name. :LOL:

Repetition is the key. Interesting why an fda agent would want us to wash our pipes and disclose our location.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
There's a youtuber I discovered, dsociald, who claims: "I don't believe in cake". His pipes are always just barely singed wood, never any cake allowed. Personally all my pipes have cake, but I feel like every pipe smoking belief I have could well in fact be a lie/based on confusion, so I'm willing to run some future tests, in the pursuit of science. Will share my findings, because ya know, peer review is crucial. :sher:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I just want to know where jpmcwjr is getting all of these scientific measuring devices. He is so precise with his moisture content data and temperatures... Are you an FDA plant? Come on, fess up. puffy

Well, as to fessing up, I do occasionally make up way overly specific numbers to try to illustrate a point. My scientific equipment consists of a bunch of hygrometers, accurate scale, and a bunch of thermometers.

Maybe I should apply to the FDA for grant money??

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I couldn't say if what I have in my pipe bowls is cake, properly considered, or not. I wipe my pipes out vigorously with a paper towel after each smoke, and whatever carbon layer is in them doesn't appear to be growing at any appreciable rate. It works for me, and my pipes taste good and stay cool based on my smoking style. Who could ask for anything more?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
So just a simple question.Do you start paper towel reaming your pipes from the very first bowl,if it is a new unsmoked pipe.Or do you put a number of bowls through it then start to ream.
I have always done the shake ash routine but have decide to give the paper reaming a go

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The hot water flush removes more ash than any other method, unless you spend a long time cleaning the pipe. You can then dry it with a paper towel, though I find that's unnecessary with a medium ambient humidity found in most households. (40-60% RH @ 70º).

brunot

Might Stick Around
Jul 26, 2017
Slovakia
I only ever get a fine thin layer in my most used pipes, cleaning the bowl after each smoke.

Just like it that way. I never found myself wanting for more.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
I hardly think about it at all. I normally just scrape the walls of the pipe to keep it smooth. so that keeps cake there but to a minimum with no regard to how much cake is there until I think it's getting too thick then I'll give it a good reaming. I've seen enough pictures of used and grotesque pipes full of cake that makes my stomach turn.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I scoop ash from the bowl, wipe it out with a rough paper towel, pipe cleaner the airway, polish the pipe. No cake, just a thin carbon layer that does the job. The chamber stays its original size. No reamer needed; I don't own one. Pipes look fine, some after 35 or 40 years. Smoke well. However, I sure wouldn't begrudge anyone cake building. Some love it, it's half the fun. Have at it, I say.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Every old timer who I really respected all said the same thing. A thin, nice hard cake will make your pipes smoke cooler and with more flavor. I have followed their advice for over 20 years and my pipes smoke great.
The only thing I do to create cake is after a smoke, I will take a couple of fluffy pipe cleaners, double them over and wipe the inside of the bowl getting rid of the ash and any loose tobacco. That is it, not a thing more.

I do know that my flakes and plugs build a nice hard cake fairly quickly.

Reactions: whsergent

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My cobs have tons of cake... because you just can't clean them.
Actually, yes, you can. You don't see any cake in these, do you? ?
I follow the same approach as with briars: wet the inside of the chamber and then a firm scrubbing with paper towel.

_MG_9749.jpg

Of course, cleaning cobs IS a PITA, specially when you get to the heel: the gunk is never ending:

Gunky_cob.jpg

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Actually, yes, you can. You don't see any cake in these, do you? ?
I follow the same approach as with briars: wet the inside of the chamber and then a firm scrubbing with paper towel.

View attachment 20118

Of course, cleaning cobs IS a PITA, specially when you get to the heel: the gunk is never ending:

View attachment 20119
Well, I never thought it was possible to keep cobs THAT clean.
Looks like a lot of work though.

I'm not a fan of building a cake wall but I don't mind the thinnest of layers on my cobs to fill in any pits or irregularities.
Every now and again I'll find that cake is building in certain spots in the bowl, not in a uniform way. [Aro's being the culprit]

Scraping off lumps with a pipe tool can cause damage if not careful.
Recently I won several pipe tools that included a small reaming tool that's a beauty. Perfect for getting rid of lumpy build ups without causing any damage to the chamber.

[The reaming tool is bottom, 2nd from the right off course]

5 x pipe tool 1 x reamer $9.50usd.jpg

Not a bad score for $9.50usd

Reactions: whsergent
Status
Not open for further replies.