PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
I’m probably echoing many others. The pipe insert is a lot easier for lighting your pipe, but it does not hold up to wind like the classic insert does.

I’ve used both and I tend to like the regular insert. Does better in wind and if you pull the wick up a little past the chimney, it basically acts the same as the pipe insert.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
If it gets black, you can wipe it down with a paper towel. I have a few Zippos with the pipe insert, and they work fine. I wait a couple of seconds in the belief (perhaps mistaken) that most of the odor burns off. I also use the Zippo black fuel, because there definitely is less odor. The pipe insert works well because of the chimney principle. It isn’t as windproof as the regular Zippo, but it works well in most instances. I also use a butane lighter, but I’m cognizant of the fact that the fuel burns 1000º C hotter than Zippo fuel, so I’m especially careful not to singe the wood.

aspiring_sage

Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
After switching back and fourth all summer I want to prefer the regular insert, since it is a bit more wind resistant but sometimes I get frustrated and switch to the pipe insert for awhile.

Starting to occasionally use matches for the first light, for hard-to-light flake.

Though I'm starting to develop preferences, Both inserts seem to work fine.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I don’t see any reason to clean my pipe insert. It’s stained black, it doesn’t effect the flame. Cleaning is just for aesthetic purposes, I think.
I thought it was gumming up the flint wheel at first, but then realized I was just due for a new flint. I guess if it doesn't create any technical issues, I could leave it like that.

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
I thought it was gumming up the flint wheel at first, but then realized I was just due for a new flint. I guess if it doesn't create any technical issues, I could leave it like that.

Well it might reduce the striking ability of the flintwheel at some point, but that’s pretty much a long term issue, I suppose. Just clean it then.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I have recently been revisiting the zippo with the pipe insert (the IM Corona Old Boy is my completely-worth-it-go-to). I really enjoy the old school zippo experience. Even letting the fuel burn off first! But with the pipe insert, I find I have to spend a lot of effort pulling the flame down into the pipe because it wants to rise up through the hole of the insert! It’s maddening!

I remember on the Thunderbird Butane Inserts (which were utterly worthless for me- all ten that I used and kept returning), there was a piece of metal blocking one side of the lighter so that the flame went down into the bowl only… instead of up into the air. I find myself wishing the zippo inserts had the same mechanism.

Reactions: JOHN72

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I know some with dispute this but, a liquid fuel Zippo will affect the taste of the tobacco... and not in a good way. I know, I've tried it. Use butane. puffy

Reactions: JOHN72

Sacred_summit

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2024
Calgary, Alberta.
One more tiny voice saying go with the standard insert and keep the wick trimmed right.
Can you elaborate on wick trimming with a regulat insert? I'm using a zippo, never thought about adjusting the wick. I also am debating if I keep my brass regular, or send it in for a pipe insert (it's the heavy duty thicker zippo). I have a pipe zippo that I used. I lost the metal tip in the spring when replacing flint, waiting on zippo to send me the part needless to say, I've been solely using a regular zippo for a month I forget how well the zippo insert works.

Also, is the regular insert even better in wind? Or is it the same as a pipe insert.

I spend alot of time outdoors climbing mountains, it gets windy!

I'll have a pipe in my mouth when trail running or hiking. People give me wicked odd looks lol, love it!

And nothing beats smoking a bowl 10,000 feet high on the summit of a mountain like looking out into a vast array of mountains and blue sky's.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Can you elaborate on wick trimming with a regulat insert? I'm using a zippo, never thought about adjusting the wick. I also am debating if I keep my brass regular, or send it in for a pipe insert (it's the heavy duty thicker zippo). I have a pipe zippo that I used. I lost the metal tip in the spring when replacing flint, waiting on zippo to send me the part needless to say, I've been solely using a regular zippo for a month I forget how well the zippo insert works.

Also, is the regular insert even better in wind? Or is it the same as a pipe insert.

I spend alot of time outdoors climbing mountains, it gets windy!

I'll have a pipe in my mouth when trail running or hiking. People give me wicked odd looks lol, love it!

And nothing beats smoking a bowl 10,000 feet high on the summit of a mountain like looking out into a vast array of mountains and blue sky's.
Stick with the pipe insert. Not expensive and works so much better. If you are outdoors, nothing compares to the Zippo with a pipe insert.

hall222

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2023
I like it, but to each his own.

Last edited by a moderator: