PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015

Lose any semblance of intelligence by uncritically believing all manner of old wives tales and by lusting and obsessing after hard to find mediocre tobaccos.

The dreaded "collector's mentality." It appears everywhere. When I see kids rushing out to spend $600 on some rare heavy metal vinyl because it's rare or ironic (flute solos), I am divided between sadness and amusement.

reniaeats

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Besides the other's mentioned, my hard rule is to not judge a fellow smoker's choices. However, I am guilty of breaking this rule pretty much every time I open my computer, so...

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
The only irrefutable rule for me is: never smoke indoors. (Not that I actually had a room to smoke in).
I never smoke outdoors, for it is always windy where I live, and I don't like putting one of those wind cap thingy on my pipes. So I prefer to smoke in a well-ventilated room.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Besides the other's mentioned, my hard

rule is to not judge a fellow smoker's choices. However, I am guilty of breaking this rule pretty much every time I open my computer, so...
This!

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Buncha anarchists in here ;)
yi0ffGM.jpg

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Try not to light up or smoke while you're filling your car. Probably nothing will happen, but it gets unwanted attention from other motorists at the same station.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
To quote my favourite movie(butch cassidy and the Sundance kid)...
Rules, In a knife fight(pipe smoking)? No rules!
Expect...enjoy it and if you don't, then you're doing it wrong

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
but i think its a sound etched in stone rule......dont inhale. Pipe tobacco is not meant for inhalation.
Ha... Ive known people who actually do inhale when smoking a pipe. Its definitely not for me, but apparently there are those that do.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
For the sake of sanity and financial security, the first rule of pipe-smoking should be...
1.) "Don't".
And now I'm off to look at some sitters! Maybe a poker'll catch my eye...

Don't eat the tobacco.

Don't soak the tobacco in lighter fluid to get the fire started.

Don't urinate in your pipe.

Don't try to hide your pipe from TSA in body orrifices unless you like the process.

Don't join a pipe forum unless you can afford it.

Don't buy pipes from places that have store names taken from a Lewis Carrol novel.

Don't try to smoke while jumping on a trampoline soaked in gasoline.
...but still, these are merely suggestions.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Not exactly an Irrefutable Rule of Pipe Smoking, but don’t take up pipe smoking simply because you saw ‘The Lord of the Rings’ trilogy, rush out and try to purchase the same type of pipe and then try to blow out billows of smoke like Gandalf.
3Tv2PeA.jpg

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
I'm concerned that The Lord of the Rings has forever ruined my notion about what a Churchwarden should look like.
Fortunately I'm taking remedial coursework from the legendary Jeremy Brett;
brett.jpg~320x480

Mar 1, 2014
I think the more important question is: What happens if I do try to blow billows of smoke like Gandalf?
Oddly enough, after watching it again this spring it seems that most of the pipes in LotR are quite plain, possibly not even having a shank, just a stem shoved in the side of the bowl like a Cob.

Those were probably just used by the Hobbits and Gimli though.

Status
Not open for further replies.