PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
I have a good friend heading home to Ireland for Christmas. Does anybody know if they sale Peterson's cheaper in Ireland? Are there any tobaccos for sale there that we can't get here?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Not sure anyone sells them as cheaply as the last P&C sale. Hopefully the dollar will be strong when your friend gets there. That is a great factor in determining cost. I got some pipes from Pipe Divan when the dollar was strong. I was happy with the pipes, and the deal.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
You may find tobacco that is not available in the US, not necessarily Peterson tobacco, but surely there are brands in the EU that are not imported to the US.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I found some very good pipes at their store in Dublin, bought at a good price, but no tobacco priced where I'd want any. YMMV.`

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I was in Ireland over the summer and found that the prices on Peterson pipes there are generally cheaper than in the US. I bought a K&P rustic donegal billiard for 60 euro in the town of Ennis. On a previous trip I picked up a couple of Irish Seconds in Killarney and Kilmihil. Both were about 30 euro.

You'll find that the tobacco selection, outside of Dublin, leans predominantly to Peterson offerings but most newsagents will carry Condor and the occasional Yachtsman plug. I'm kicking myself for not picking up a Peterson bent Rhodesian I found at a newsagent in Westport. It was one of only 5 pipes they had in the store and the manager quoted me a price of 55 euro for it. Seemed he was just trying to get rid of his remaining stock.

I highly recommend a visit to Galway where, in a music shop called P. Powell and Sons, I found a very nice selection of Peterson pipes as well as a stash of Mick McQuaid and Velvan plug! Which town is your friend from?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's been a couple of years and a change in ownership since I've been in the Dublin store. I like shopping there as pipes were displayed not often seen in pipe shops. It takes a particular kind of shop to have money sitting on the shelves as expensive, silver fitted pipes that may not sell for a couple of years. And, the Dublin store has a nice humidor and smoking room on the lower level.
I'd suggest the J. J. Fox store a few minute walk up the street towards the river. I'm always impressed with the selection of tobaccos there.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've been to Dublin, Texas and there was not a pipe in sight.... 8)
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's difficult to beat the PC discounts on Petersons, but it would pleasing to have a Peterson from its homeland.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
He is going to check prices for me. I gave him a list of EU pipe tobacco to check for at the Duty Free shop as well.
Thanks Jay, I better check to make sure we were talking about the same Dublin!

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I stopped into M Cahill and Son, the oldest tobacconist in Limerick over the summer hoping to purchase some of their house blends. The helpful woman behind the counter that day explained to me that since they switched to the Euro many regulations were put into place including a band on selling loose tobacco. Tins of Peterson blends average about 30 Euro. She also told me that I'd be hard pressed to find anything from Gawith and Hoggarth, Samuel Gawith, Esoterica, Germains, etc., unless I traveled to Belfast in the North. Hopefully your friend will have better luck. There was also no pipe tobacco available at the duty free shop in the Shannon airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.