PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

csibuk

Lurker
Jul 12, 2015
Cavan, Ontario, Canada
Hello Gentlemen,
I have been reading posts from this forum for a while now, and I decided to join.
I started smoking pipes again after a short, 35-year hiatus.

My first experience with pipes started in a different era, on a different continent, in a waaaay different country, where you were considered a real connoisseur if you smoked Amphora or any of the Borkum blends instead of the available 1-2 domestic brands. My favorite at that time was Amphora Red (a.k.a. Full Aroma).
I am an aromatic smoker - I don't mind if the flavor of the tobacco comes through, but I am in it mainly for the aromatic taste. For me the "American Aro Blends" are the perfect ticket.
I am also aware of the health effects of pipe smoking, but in my personal opinion pipe smoking is still a medicine if one compares it with all the other foul effects we receive in our life - the over-processed, genetically modified, artificially produced, "it-has-nothing-to-do-with-the-real-stuff" food items ("organic" and "bio-", yeah, give me a break!), the electromagnetic wave bombardment we receive from the cellphone towers that are sprouting up like mushrooms everywhere, the "miraculously" appearing viruses, bacteria and other pathogens that we have never heard of before, the brain-numbing excrement fed to us by the media, the generally accepted constant lies from our politicians, the out-of-hand "political correctness" and all the "reality shows" on TV that have nothing to do with reality at all. I guess I left out some items but everybody can fill in the blanks...
In short, I consider pipe smoking as a perfect meditational aid with more positive effects than negative ones.
My current favorite tobaccos are listed in my profile, but I can list them here, too:
- Lord Methley's from 4noggins (I think Rich is an exceptional expert with his blends - I have tasted practically all of his aromatic blends and liked them all, without exception)

- Lane's 1-Q mixed with BCA in a 50:50 ratio

- Lane' Very Cherry mixed with Black Raspberry in a 50:50 ratio

- Three Blind Moose from 4noggins (I also mixed this with BCA; 50:50 - I like it better this way)

- I also tried Stanwell Melange, Connoisseur's Choice and Molto Dolce, but found the first two too strong for my taste, so I mixed them all together - it came out as a very nice mixture!)
Soon after I picked up the pipe again, I decided to have some nostalgia and get some Amphora Red again - just to see how I find it after all these years. I found an online "store" offering Amphora Red for a good price (something like 30 bucks for 5 pouches, shipping included), so I put in an order for it. As it turned out, the package came from Israel. The weathered-looking sealed pouches appeared to be original, but the tobacco was a disappointment even before I had a smoke from it. It was dried out like a clump of very dry straw (the color and the smell was somewhat similar to straw, too...). The aroma of the tobacco was completely gone, although upon smoking some from it, it tasted like the real stuff - without any aromatic casing or topping noticeable.
As I found this tobacco to be too strong (and nothing like what I remembered from my youth - although it may be because I have tried some really tasty aros before this "nostalgia" pack...), I decided to try to flavor it instead of throwing it out.
At first try I treated it with some dark Cuban rum (the 7 years old variety for that), but after drying the aroma was way too subtle. Then I tried wetting it with some nice French brandy. I spread the tobacco out and sprayed the brandy over it until it was really moist, but not dripping wet. (Something like 3/4 of a shotglass for maybe 5 ounces of tobacco).

After some drying, I jarred it up for a couple of weeks. After opening it again, the aroma coming from the jar was promising, but when I smoked it I still found it too harsh when trying to retrohale it.

Then, I bought some BCA from 4noggins (my only supplier, by the way) and made a 50:50 mix from it and the rum/brandy flavored "Amphora Red". And, once I was at it, for good measure I also applied about 1/4 ounces of pure vanilla extract (the real stuff, not artificial flavoring). The I put the stuff in jars agan - taking it out about once a week for some airing/drying.
To make this long story shorter, I can report to you that this concoction is near perfect now - I truly enjoy smoking it. It smokes and tastes like a really nice, factory made aromatic, with a sweetish brandy and vanilla taste, and a super room note. The harshness is gone - mostly thanks to the BCA, I guess-while there is still a nicely tolerable quality tobacco taste in the background).
The next challenge is already waiting for me: I recently ordered 1 tin each of Dan Tobacco's Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, MacBaren's Vanilla Cream and some Blue Note. To my utter disappointment after reading some very positive reviews, I also found these to be very strong. I guess I was expecting milder, American style aromatics, and what I got are rather strong European style tobaccos with hardly any noticeable aromatic flavor...

I am planning to call BCA to the rescue again - hopefully it will work out well this time, too.
(And now I am not sure what to expect from the shipment that is in the mail: 1 tins each of Sutliff's Taste of Summer, CAO's Eileen's Dream, Moontrance and Cherry Bomb... What do you guys think my impression will be with these?)
Sorry for the long-winded post - I promise I will keep it shorter the next time!
Best,
Las

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Welcome to the forum. Try putting the blends that don't suit you away for a while and go back to them after a month or two. I think you may be better off finding a blend or two that you like and stick with just them for a while, I almost got dizzy trying to follow what you've been up to.

csibuk

Lurker
Jul 12, 2015
Cavan, Ontario, Canada
Thank you, davet! I will just try to do that you suggested. (I guess I just got a bit carried away with all the excellent choices available. Kid in a candy store...)

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I've had a few I didn't care for and went back after a month or two and enjoyed. I think your palette can get overcome with a big variety of strong flavours after a while. I think the Captain Black Premier Editions are a mellower smoke than the regulars, Red Sky is my only regular aro along with 1Q.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
My vote for best first post ever.
I am also aware of the health effects of pipe smoking, but in my personal opinion pipe smoking is still a medicine if one compares it with all the other foul effects we receive in our life - the over-processed, genetically modified, artificially produced, "it-has-nothing-to-do-with-the-real-stuff" food items ("organic" and "bio-", yeah, give me a break!), the electromagnetic wave bombardment we receive from the cellphone towers that are sprouting up like mushrooms everywhere, the "miraculously" appearing viruses, bacteria and other pathogens that we have never heard of before, the brain-numbing excrement fed to us by the media, the generally accepted constant lies from our politicians, the out-of-hand "political correctness" and all the "reality shows" on TV that have nothing to do with reality at all. I guess I left out some items but everybody can fill in the blanks...
If you like aromatics, I urge you to call Pipeworks & Wilke

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
Awesome Post !!!!

Welcome to the forum :puffy:
Mark

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Welcome aboard and I too agree that yours might be the best first post ever, even if you are an Aro smoker. Lol.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Steven from Calgary here. There's a handful of us Canadians around the forum, 20 or so I'd guess. Welcome aboard!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Welcome to the forum and great post indeed! I enjoy Lord Metheley's as well and really, really like Three Blind Moose. :puffy:
@ framitz - thought you were posting drunk or something?? :rofl: Just a little kidding from one of the Canadians. :D

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Welcome aboard, csibuk. I think yours is the best introduction I have seen on the forum. I have not tried Cherry Bomb. I think you will enjoy the Moontrance and Eileen's Dream. There CAO Black is also pretty good. Have you tried Peter Stokkebeye 6 Sweet Vanilla. I have been smoking it for about 3 or 4 months now and it has become my go to aromatic. You might give it a try. I buy it bulk from Pipes and Cigars. Shenandoah Barrel #76 and Molt Dolce are also very good. The Molto Dolce can be very wet so let it dry a good bit. It also will turn your tongue quite brown :lol: But the ladies really enjoy the room note. I have had compliments on all of these including the ones you have already purchased.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
Howdy from a fellow Canuck! I agree whole-heartedly with your post. Pipe smoking is a great way to shut out that other 'stuff.'
Again, welcome!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Welcome to the forums.

I applaud your initiative and courage in adding flavor to your 'backy.

davet said: I've had a few I didn't care for and went back after a month or two and enjoyed.

I give this comment a +1, and add that it works the other way sometimes, too.

I've enjoyed an aro, then put it away for awhile and upon return found it wanting. I still keep it because I know the leaf in it is good quality and that my reception might have been 'off' for that bowl. It happens.

I tend to blend a lot of my leftovers and even some that I think I'd like by making more virginal combinations, but I haven't tried to flavor with liquid additives. Yours seem to be alcohol based, not sugar based, so that might help to prevent fungus, and change taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. I favor non-aromatics, but smoke aros now and then for change of pace. From reviewing the tobaccos available in shops and online, I believe that aromatics are one of the mainstays of the pipe tobacco industry. I feel sure they outnumber non-armoatics by quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.