PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Greetings all. Living in Monterey California and learning ember management. I bought a horrible (pipe-shaped) contraption from a local headshop a little over a month ago, but my journey feels more underway now after receiving an order of corn cobs. Both excited and slightly intimidated about learning tobaccos, matching pipes with blends, ghosting, all that sort of stuff. Looking forward to gaining pointers from this site.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Yes Jay, and thanks for being the first to welcome me. I like that the breaking in process is shorter(?) and am starting to learn ember management.
Les

Reactions: jpmcwjr

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'll give you the one rule of pipe smoking. If you're enjoying yourself you're doing it right, if you're not enjoying it you're doing something wrong and asking people will help you enjoy it again. I've never worried about ghosting yes it happens but I've never found it to ruin my next blend, I've only come across a blend or two that if I smoke it that means I should not smoke a few other blends right away. I think ghosting is like wine pairing. People act like there are these rules but if you want a certain wine with your steak then enjoy it. Also one thing don't "rasta" up your tobacco pipes, it creates an unpleasant type of ghosting that I've never met anyone who enjoys.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
oh and try suggestions and see what you think. Sometimes the little things can take your enjoyment to the next level. Like for instance I always bring my water bottle with me. Drinking water seems to increase flavor reduce tongue bite and salivation. Also cobs are cheap because the material is easier to grow in quantity not because they're not as good pipes. I enjoy my briars more but I don't think they're better objectively speaking.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I use two or three pipes to smoke all kinds of tobacco. Maybe my taste buds aren't as sensitive as others. But, I never notice any remnants of the previous tobacco that I smoked. ymmv
I certainly have. But honestly except a few blends it's been something I have to look for to notice. And when I started I'd buy a tin or pouch and that was what I smoked till it was gone and yeah the next tin or pouch would sorta taste a little more like what I had been smoking but it passed. Except for with Sweet Mystery X that stuff ghosts like crazy. O.k. that stuff doesn't ghost it's more a full on possession but it didn't ruin any pipes or smoking so.......

Reactions: jpmcwjr

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
I'll give you the one rule of pipe smoking. If you're enjoying yourself you're doing it right, if you're not enjoying it you're doing something wrong and asking people will help you enjoy it again. I've never worried about ghosting yes it happens but I've never found it to ruin my next blend, I've only come across a blend or two that if I smoke it that means I should not smoke a few other blends right away. I think ghosting is like wine pairing. People act like there are these rules but if you want a certain wine with your steak then enjoy it. Also one thing don't "rasta" up your tobacco pipes, it creates an unpleasant type of ghosting that I've never met anyone who enjoys.
I understand that there are separate "rasta" pipes available for that sort of endeavor.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome, also from the Central Coast.

There's Hellam's on Alvarado and The Humidor on Wave in Monterey, and Carmel Pipe Shop on Lincoln in Carmel. All have pipe tobacco, pipes, and good owners, something increasingly rare among "tobacco shops". I like the Carmel shop the best. It's tiny, but friendly staff, and they have some estate briars and meers, which Hellam's does not. Humidor has some very high end estates.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Welcome, also from the Central Coast.

There's Hellam's on Alvarado and The Humidor on Wave in Monterey, and Carmel Pipe Shop on Lincoln in Carmel. All have pipe tobacco, pipes, and good owners, something increasingly rare among "tobacco shops". I like the Carmel shop the best. It's tiny, but friendly staff, and they have some estate briars and meers, which Hellam's does not. Humidor has some very high end estates.

I will check the others out. Hellams is the one I use so far.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Welcome! If I could give you the one piece of advice that I wish I'd received as a new pipe smoker, it would be about drying your tobacco.
It is a subjective process because people enjoy different tobacco at different moisture levels. But a good rule of thumb is that if you are having trouble keeping it lit or you're experiencing muted flavors, it's probably too moist. I use the pinch test. Lay a bowls worth of Tobacco out to dry and check on it every 10 minutes or so. Pinch it between your fingers for 3 seconds and let it go. If it sticks to your fingers or falls in a clump, it's probably still to moist. Again this is subjective to your preference and will take some trial and error to find what you like but this one tip solved 75% of the problems I had as a new smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.