PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
This morning I had a very inresting convo with a friend of mine and a unknown 18 yr old.

Every morning I go down to the town park and smoke a bowl and have a cup of gas station coffee with Bill.

He is a WW2 vet and a life long pipe smoker he is a recluse and dont talk to many ppl.

As we sat and watched the ducks and talke and smoked a kid came up smoking a pipe and said hello. For some reason Bill invited him to sit as he did he asked the kid why do you smoke a pipe. The answer shocked us both!

Brant the young man replyed It reminds me of simpler times from stories I heard from my Grandfather and Great Grandfather who were both pipe smokers a time where men had class and respect worked and could support his fam without the wife working too a time where men were just that men there wasnt nothing a man couldnt fix or do a time where men said please and thank you where a man would go out of his way and go without to help someone in need. As we talked about other things too brant excused his self stating he had things to do today Bill said it was a pleasure and we are there every sunny day when the weather is nice at 9 am please come back and join us. As Brant walked off just out of ear shot Bill turns to me pipe in his mouth said there is still hope for humanity.

jaysin

Lifer
Feb 8, 2012
Indiana
just a after note the pipe he always smokes is a leather wraped longchamp he bought in france during ww2

stil going strong

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Good story.

could support his fam without the wife working too
I would like to point out, however, that those farm wives worked just as hard as the men did. Keeping a family farm going meant everybody worked. Those were strong women who did what needed to be done.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You are right about the women, my grandmother was the rock on our farm, at 92, my father asked her what she wanted for her birthday, she told himshe wanted a new shovel. Tbradsim the old cajun

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Amen. Glad to hear the influence of those days is still being seen in the youth of today.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
That is awesome. Great to hear that people still have thoughts like that. I know that I do.

Would love to meet Brant some day.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
That is one great story indeed. Thanks for sharing that.
When I look at the whole 20-something generation that is out there, I am indeed worried. This is the generation that in 30 years is supposed to keep this country going. And what I see doesn't always fill me with the greatest confidence.
This story did indeed give me hope for the future :puffpipe:
Pipesmokers unite and run the country in 30 years ! Reverse those bans as well while you're at it will ya ;-)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
When I look at the whole 20-something generation that is out there, I am indeed worried. This is the generation that in 30 years is supposed to keep this country going. And what I see doesn't always fill me with the greatest confidence.
People have been complaining about the younger generation for centuries. Aristotle is quoted as saying

They Young People have exalted notions, because they have not been humbled by life or learned its necessary limitations; moreover, their hopeful disposition makes them think themselves equal to great things -- and that means having exalted notions. They would always rather do noble deeds than useful ones: Their lives are regulated more by moral feeling than by reasoning -- all their mistakes are in the direction of doing things excessively and vehemently. They overdo everything -- they love too much, hate too much, and the same with everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.