PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
This question has bothered me for a while. With the whole COVID lock down, I cannot notice my pipe accessory inventory dwindling and no shops open, be that b&m or online. Well, in my acceptable pipe collection I can find good pipes and can, thus, overcome the mental block of smoking filter less, but what am I to do without pipe cleaners? I wonder ... back in the old days, before the pipe cleaner was invented (I can imagine that they haven't been around since the pipe) what did people use to clean their briars?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Lol I ran out last week and with all the local B&Ms and head shops closed, I had to place the world's sorriest order with TP. It was like 6 bundles of pipe cleaners and one measly tin of HH Burley Flake so I'd have some reason to get excited about the package arriving.

I checked Amazon but none of the super fast prime shipping was available and the price was actually better with TP even when adding the shipping cost. And, of course, TP is like lightning in terms of turning around orders and getting them to you.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Sorry this doesn't exactly address your question, but do you have access to a Walgreen's? Most are still open, and many carry basic pipe smoking supplies like pipe cleaners.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Some people clean pipe cleaners and re use them.

You know what they say ... desperate times ...
Online shops are open. You can get pipe cleaners from Amazon as well. I believe I read where people used feathers in the past.

The international ones may be ... but whatever comes through the Romanian Post office is more than likely going to get to me by Christmas, as they too are closed, and the local shops that deliver by private (as in non government ran) curiers are closed. I will have to find a way ... all your input is much appreciated. Warm water doesn't sound that bad, although I imagine that it would take a pipe several days before it dries up an re use it.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Sorry this doesn't exactly address your question, but do you have access to a Walgreen's? Most are still open, and many carry basic pipe smoking supplies like pipe cleaners.

Thanks for the suggestion, although I am from the EU, unfortunately none of the international type of supermarkets here don't carry pipe supplies.

Reactions: Dallas Wynn

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Generations of pipe smokers did without pipe cleaners.

Gently scraping the bowl with a pocketknife and using the little pick attachment to clean the draft hole works fine.

Rinsing the stem with warm water and blowing it out with a few puffs is generally fine too.

We’re quite spoiled with convenience but honestly it’s not necessary to over complicate it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love pipe cleaners and use them regularly, but if they weren’t available I’d twist up a paper towel and clean the bowl, run water through the pipe and give it a quick flick and be fine. Once in awhile I’d use the pocketknife and pick if required.

Reactions: Bowie
Jun 9, 2018
England
Thanks for the suggestion, although I am from the EU, unfortunately none of the international type of supermarkets here don't carry pipe supplies.

In the UK most of the online tobacconists are still open for business, although they do seem to all have a bit of a backlog. I know most of them deliver internationally, it would probably work out to be quite expensive though. Still it's an option if you get really desperate.

Reactions: madox07