Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Nov 25, 2020
Pune, India
Hey cshubhra, I'll check out once COVID eases it's terror. Nearest place to look for is New Delhi. And costly briar pipes would be my only option to begin with if my wallet allowed.
Enjoy your smokes..

Hello from Pune, India! My first order was with 4noggins and the package arrived in 4 weeks time. Most of those 4 weeks were with Mumbai Customs. But yeah, my package got through without having to pay anything extra in taxes.

Now enjoying some My Mixture 965 in an MM Legend!

Btw, my next couple of orders already on their way. A few pipes from Aristocob and a couple more from RNATreasures.

The couple of other pipe smokers from India I interacted with, on another forum told me they swear by smokingpipes though. They always go for the cheapest shipping option since it does seem to avoid notice by the Customs.

I'd say give it another shot. Maybe try 4noggins this time.

Cheers!

Reactions: Dr_Harshit_Joshi

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I read the first few and last comments... I do smokingpipes.com to Canada all the time with the cheapest shipping, super saver. Unless I buy a nice pipe, I want tracking on that puppy.

I‘ve also only been dinged once in about 20 orders, for taxes. Apparently customs just grabs random packages off the convey belt, most slip through. Also if you order 200 grams or less, 4 tins, it’s safer I’ve been told. With the tariff I got one time, it was exactly the same rip off Canadian price anyhow...lol, worth doing.

As for India with the greater distance and potentially higher government corruption, worse infrastructure, I would have guessed it would be tougher, but apparently a gentleman who posted above knows better... And it works:)

Joker

Lurker
Sep 22, 2020
toronto
I read the first few and last comments... I do smokingpipes.com to Canada all the time with the cheapest shipping, super saver. Unless I buy a nice pipe, I want tracking on that puppy.

I‘ve also only been dinged once in about 20 orders, for taxes. Apparently customs just grabs random packages off the convey belt, most slip through. Also if you order 200 grams or less, 4 tins, it’s safer I’ve been told. With the tariff I got one time, it was exactly the same rip off Canadian price anyhow...lol, worth doing.

As for India with the greater distance and potentially higher government corruption, worse infrastructure, I would have guessed it would be tougher, but apparently a gentleman who posted above knows better... And it works:)
U r lucky! I follow the 200g rules and got 3 orders dinged in 20. One was overcharged me for 10 CAD per 50g tobacco. So from now on I only order value under 20 CAD. By far I still fine

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hello from Pune, India!
<< Snipped bits out >>
Welcome from California!

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Reactions: tambakusevankarta

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
Hello from Pune, India! My first order was with 4noggins and the package arrived in 4 weeks time. Most of those 4 weeks were with Mumbai Customs. But yeah, my package got through without having to pay anything extra in taxes.

Now enjoying some My Mixture 965 in an MM Legend!

Btw, my next couple of orders already on their way. A few pipes from Aristocob and a couple more from RNATreasures.

The couple of other pipe smokers from India I interacted with, on another forum told me they swear by smokingpipes though. They always go for the cheapest shipping option since it does seem to avoid notice by the Customs.

I'd say give it another shot. Maybe try 4noggins this time.

Cheers!
tambakusevankarta, Greetings.
Thank You for your reply. I hope you are enjoying your blends and smokes and pipes likewise.
There was a total disruption of logistics months back due to COVID. This greatly affected many including me on a long run.
Your input matters and would give another try some day.
Shopping with SP had been a pleasant experience. Though my package got lost, but they sincerely refunded me w/o asking a single question.
Enjoy your smokes and blends..
Happy Piping! puffy

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
AN YEAR LATER.

Greetings Gentlemen,

I took a hiatus from my Pipe Dream and got busy with my duty roster during COVID Pandemic.

On 3rd Feb 21, almost an year later, I placed my second Super Saver International order of 2 MM Morgan Nose Warmer Cobs from SP. With enough assurance given to me already by their customer staff on improved efficiency aftermath, I got pleased and checked out.

It's been 6 weeks now and I am again waiting. Has anyone facing the same? Any respective members from India or abroad who ordered from SP through Super Saver International facing or faced unexpected delays Post Pandemic?

Your replies would be duly appreciable and helpful the same time.

Aug 1, 2012
I am in Mumbai right now and I have to say, nothing ordered or shipped from the USA has made it to my flat in almost 2 years. I gave up a bit ago as there doesn't seem to be a point to ordering or even getting family or friends to ship to me.

It's gotten to be a running joke.

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
I am in Mumbai right now and I have to say, nothing ordered or shipped from the USA has made it to my flat in almost 2 years. I gave up a bit ago as there doesn't seem to be a point to ordering or even getting family or friends to ship to me.

It's gotten to be a running joke.
Hey @captainsouise, thank you for your input.. It's really shocking to hear your account even being into tier A city of India.
I previously lost my first Super Saver order from SP and now seems thi gs are repeating again..

Reactions: captainsousie
Aug 1, 2012
Hey @captainsouise, thank you for your input.. It's really shocking to hear your account even being into tier A city of India.
I previously lost my first Super Saver order from SP and now seems thi gs are repeating again..
It might just be the part of the city I live in as many of my friends in areas like Juhu or Andheri seem to get their parcels.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm a novice and want to get into Pipe Smoking with corn cob pipes. I surfed smokingpipes.com and ended up with 2 Missouri Prides.

The shipping smokingpipes.com providing which's under my budget is Super Saver International (cheapest) and First Class Mail (with limited tracking)

Is Super Saver (without tracking) would be a good option to India? I hope the package won't get lost in transit!

The customer support did assured me that there won't be any problems. I just wanted to know designated pipe smokers here in forum residing overseas about their experiences..
You just have to start with cheap items and test the system. Only you know how reliable your local mail system is, make your purchases accordingly.
In my experience USPS is 100% reliable at getting packages out of the country, but once they pass off to your local mail system you have to know how good your own people are.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
What used to take days for USPS items here in the US now takes up to months. This is even with 1st Class and Priority (actually, Priority seems to make little difference). I sent a USPS 1st Class international to Greece in late February and it's till not yet arrived (took two weeks to get out of the US). But those packages eventually arrive. I can't comment on SuperSaver, but I sure wouldn't trust anything of value to only a tracked package. (and insured if above a certain value).

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
You just have to start with cheap items and test the system. Only you know how reliable your local mail system is, make your purchases accordingly.
In my experience USPS is 100% reliable at getting packages out of the country, but once they pass off to your local mail system you have to know how good your own people are.
Greetings frozenchurchwarden,

Thank You for your input. I had shopped internationally for a long time and haven't faced any lost packages for now. My only lost one was last year's SP SSI from States which due to Pandemic got lost in transit. And currently waiting for my same second one now from SP.
I have shopped fairly well from major international destinations but never faced a lost packages or contents from Indian Customs and India Post people.. though got dinged on some... but no significant losses..

Dr_Harshit_Joshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2020
Nainital, India
What used to take days for USPS items here in the US now takes up to months. This is even with 1st Class and Priority (actually, Priority seems to make little difference). I sent a USPS 1st Class international to Greece in late February and it's till not yet arrived (took two weeks to get out of the US). But those packages eventually arrive. I can't comment on SuperSaver, but I sure wouldn't trust anything of value to only a tracked package. (and insured if above a certain value).
IMG_20210321_181233.jpg
Greetings @ssjones,
Above screenshot was from Customer Support from SP.
What I learned from SSI service offered by SP is that they don't directly source USPS for transit. UPS in association with USPS pick up the mail.. and once around States borders, they pass it up to USPS for final delivery. USPS then to India Post once it reaches here after custom clearance.

Max timeline for all this process is by 3-4 weeks. But currently I was told, that logistics are sluggish due to over burdened old packages and could be the cause for delay..

What I found interesting is other online vendors in States n Europe are delivering on time in India. But that's not been with Super Savers from States..

I also came to know from Delhi, Calcutta, Mumbai and Chennai Customs that my previous Super Saver order from SP during pandemic never made it to my country. Waited 15 weeks for it. They got no info for the same.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden