Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Somewhere else in these pages I alluded to a pipe that I purchased online from a Canadian craftsman after learning of the carver in same said pages. I also had lamented about it's delay...

Apparently I'm a potential international criminal or something, as my package wasted away for 3 weeks in a regional facility in my state, then spent 2 days in my local PO.

On the day I went to retrieve it, they had been contacted by Customs & Border patrol demanding the package be sent to Miami. It was there, I was there, but they couldn't give it to me. Even though they knew it stated the contents were a hand-carved tobacco pipe.

Calling about 5 working days later to Miami, I was told by the voice on the line that they didn't know where it was, that it seemed to be on the way to me...

Call me skeptical.

But I was patient.

It arrived 2 days after that conversation, complete with signs of being opened and re-taped with their own C&BP green tape over the gaping "incision" in my package.

I'm now proud to share pictures of my new acquisition from christopherpipes.coffeecup.com

Specs per his site:
Length: 6 1/4"
Height: 2 1/2"
Chamber width: 7/8"
Chamber depth: 2 1/4"
Weight: 57g

1649277666852.png

1649277692684.png

1649277715791.png

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Somewhere else in these pages I alluded to a pipe that I purchased online from a Canadian craftsman after learning of the carver in same said pages. I also had lamented about it's delay...

Apparently I'm a potential international criminal or something, as my package wasted away for 3 weeks in a regional facility in my state, then spent 2 days in my local PO.

On the day I went to retrieve it, they had been contacted by Customs & Border patrol demanding the package be sent to Miami. It was there, I was there, but they couldn't give it to me. Even though they knew it stated the contents were a hand-carved tobacco pipe.

Calling about 5 working days later to Miami, I was told by the voice on the line that they didn't know where it was, that it seemed to be on the way to me...

Call me skeptical.

But I was patient.

It arrived 2 days after that conversation, complete with signs of being opened and re-taped with their own C&BP green tape over the gaping "incision" in my package.

I'm now proud to share pictures of my new acquisition from christopherpipes.coffeecup.com

Specs per his site:
Length: 6 1/4"
Height: 2 1/2"
Chamber width: 7/8"
Chamber depth: 2 1/4"
Weight: 57g

View attachment 138502

View attachment 138503

View attachment 138504
Victim of poorly worded legislation. Had a similar thing happen with snus accessories, my person I talked to was way more chatty and open about the situation.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
When it comes to legislation, "poorly worded" has almost become redundant...
I could argue that it really isn't quite like that. It's one of those things when it goes right and how it should you just don't tend to hear about it. But in this case there was some law passed saying that they have make sure that any tobacco paraphernalia is not toxic. Which incidentally isn't really something they're actually qualified to determine, even if that's kind of bad wording because you could argue that one lots of ways. I mean if you eat briar or ebonite it might be toxic. There is more to it but it was a really slap dash and reactionary rule which leaves the people responsible for enforcing it not quite sure what they're supposed to do or what the best course of action to take is.

Reactions: FLDRD

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In many ways. We have it good. Sometimes it’s easy to overlook many of the simple things we take for granted but really make life much more tolerable
And the past also wasn't as grand as people always like to think. Why cause life is always going to be complicated, which makes sense since it is literally everything as in everything going on at the same damn time.

Derby

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2020
Lovely pipe. At times, well most of the time , the workings of government agencies are inefficient and needlessly complicated.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I was actually quite patient about the whole thing and was resigned to simply see what happened.

Add to that, when the Christopher found out it had been confiscated he voluntarily refunded me - which I didn't ask for and he certainly didn't need to. Just did it in spite of my objections that he needn't do so.

When it came I told him and re-paid so all's well that ends well.

Now I'm trying to figure out what kind of lighter I need to get into a chamber that deep without scorching the rim... Didn't think about that ahead of time.

You do not have to get the flame into the chamber to light a pipe like that. Just hold the lighter sideways about 1/2 and inch above the chamber and draw the heat down (NOT the flame) into the chamber. Thinking that the flame has to touch the tobacco is the most common mistake in the pipe world. Just gently draw the heat down and all will be fine. I smoke toppers and stacks all the time, and I never point a flame down into the chamber ever.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
You do not have to get the flame into the chamber to light a pipe like that. Just hold the lighter sideways about 1/2 and inch above the chamber and draw the heat down (NOT the flame) into the chamber. Thinking that the flame has to touch the tobacco is the most common mistake in the pipe world. Just gently draw the heat down and all will be fine. I smoke toppers and stacks all the time, and I never point a flame down into the chamber ever.
Ok, I'll pay more attention to that and see what I'm doing and how I can improve it.
That could be a little detail I haven't mastered that might make a huge difference.
Thanks

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At least it wasn't you they were impounding. What a hassle. It's an attractive pipe, and over time will be worth the wait. I wonder what it was suspected of being. I was once "apprehended" at the airport for a suspicious item in my carry--on, a harmonica the reed chambers of which read like a pistol clip on the x-ray. I was merciful and didn't insist on playing them a tune to confirm the obvious.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
At least it wasn't you they were impounding. What a hassle. It's an attractive pipe, and over time will be worth the wait. I wonder what it was suspected of being. I was once "apprehended" at the airport for a suspicious item in my carry--on, a harmonica the reed chambers of which read like a pistol clip on the x-ray. I was merciful and didn't insist on playing them a tune to confirm the obvious.
I do hope it's worth the wait. Actually I'm presuming so.
It's a conical bowl which I've had some success with, mostly the English blends I prefer. I've got lots of new blends to try and this will likely see a few of them. One day it should provide me with a nirvana smoke session at over 2" deep.
As long as I can get it lit properly. (see above comments)
I actually loaded 1/2 a bowl and then pondered my dilemma of lighting it an inch deep in my brand new pristine chamber and beautiful rim... then I dumped it out.
But I'll conquer it!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I have one of his pipes and LOVE it! It has a great open draw and smokes beautifully.
I was actually looking hard that that pipe! I'm glad you got to remove some of my temptation.