PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just come to read an interesting tobacco review on Amphora Kentucky blend,where the reviewer finds this new Amphora blend something similar tasting to old Ogdens era St Bruno tobacco, can't comment on this since I have never smoked St Bruno from old days,but those of you who did may find this piece of review interesting

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't tried any of these three blends, but usually comparing something to blends of the past is high praise. I do think dark-fired as a condiment has broken the trance of using only Latakia and Perique in nearly every other blend. I love 'em both, but think it limits blending. Dark-fired, Cavendish, Turkish, Oriental, burley as a condiment, and so on, expand the keyboard of taste a lot. PS' bulk blend Amsterdam is Virginia based with dark-fired as condiment, in exacting proportion, and it is awfully good, as merely one example. Amphora's recently introduced burley pouch blend is exceptional too.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Interesting. I don't have any experience with the old St. Bruno, but I can definitely see parallel flavors between the new St. Bruno and Kentucky Blend. Which is in my rotation now, because it's so dang good. The Amphora Burley and English Blends are also very tasty.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I had a pouch of the Amphora KY when it first came out and enjoyed it thoroughly. I had thought it similar to Old Dark Fired in leaf components and percentages, with less of a vinegar type tang. Need to buy more actually, as it's a very good value!

I am enjoying my first pouch of St. Bruno now but have only had this current McB version. I can't really compare the two yet because my palate keeps getting hung up on the topping which siblimates the tobaccos a fair bit (but what a delightful topping!) to my tastebuds. I suspect as I smoke more, I may get a bettet feel for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.