PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Interesting stuff, I am Greek and didn't even know there is somewhat substantial production still going on.
I have had pure leaf Greek Basma and it's intensely fragrant, cumin-like, sweet and savoury, so where is it all going? Greece makes some good cigarettes but in the end they don't taste of much. A farmer friend of mine told me that his family who used to be in the tobacco business had shifted from growing Greek varieties to growing Virginias at least 50 years ago now, much higher yield and far less labour intensice crop.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Interesting stuff, I am Greek and didn't even know there is somewhat substantial production still going on.
I have had pure leaf Greek Basma and it's intensely fragrant, cumin-like, sweet and savoury, so where is it all going? Greece makes some good cigarettes but in the end they don't taste of much. A farmer friend of mine told me that his family who used to be in the tobacco business had shifted from growing Greek varieties to growing Virginias at least 50 years ago now, much higher yield and far less labour intensice crop.
honestly some blends should cost more then they do. I'd be happy to pay more for blends that use leafs like the oriental varieties if it meant more money in the farmers pocket. And why because of what your friend said. And if it's not made worthwhile for them then why would they not switch over to something else. Plus it probably increase sales of those blends. Because people would assume the more expensive meant better not rarer and more fragrant. Just how I look at it. Then again might be easy because I smoke a bit of everything but oriental and English are my least smoked styles.

Reactions: karam

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
That was interesting. The 2020 numbers seemed down a significant amount. Hopefully that's all just pandemic related. The new seeds sound promising. Hopefully we're not sacrificing too much Oriental goodness for increased production.

Oct 7, 2016
I really am not sure how much good news there is, as the old style hand harvesting and traditional curing methods seem to be almost extinct. But that at least some of these, prized by pipe smokers, varietals are still grown on a commercial scale has to be good news of a sort. I hope.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I really am not sure how much good news there is, as the old style hand harvesting and traditional curing methods seem to be almost extinct. But that at least some of these, prized by pipe smokers, varietals are still grown on a commercial scale has to be good news of a sort. I hope.
In all fairness, plowing by mule and Japanese cormorant fishing are there as well. Times change.

Status
Not open for further replies.