PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
One of my granddaughters husband found this pipe rack at a yard sale in N. CA a few months ago and he just sent it to me a few days ago. Looks like solid oak and just needed a little clean up, and while doing so I noticed a stamping on the lower back. I see a crown, Made In England, and in-between them another word that looks like it says Series. It's really hard to read, so I tried to take the best pics I could. I thought maybe someone here might have one similar or an idea of what it says. Maybe it's the makers name, but who knows.

fullsizeoutput_2963.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2964.jpeg

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Reactions: agnosticpipe

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Reactions: canucklehead

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Looks like it can fit some larger pipes too, nice!
Unfortunately, the pipes that will fit in this have to be rather small. The holes that the stem passes through is rather small, so wider bits will not go. Tall bowls will not fit in the bottom either, and most bent pipes are out too. Must have been made when most pipes were smaller than todays. :confused:
I did find some pipes that fit nicely though.
fullsizeoutput_2962.jpeg

Reactions: BROBS and Guppy

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
A lot of older racks are small by today's standards which can be a challenge. I find that Falcons tend to fit fine which is kind of ironic that my oldest racks hold my weirdest looking pipes.

Reactions: BROBS and lawdawg

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Unfortunately, the pipes that will fit in this have to be rather small. The holes that the stem passes through is rather small, so wider bits will not go. Tall bowls will not fit in the bottom either, and most bent pipes are out too. Must have been made when most pipes were smaller than todays. :confused:
View attachment 40739

I have a pipe rack which I believe was likely constructed about 100 years ago based upon the craftsmanship style and types of nails used. I've seen others like it, so it could be more recent, and I could be way off. In any event, it also only holds small to medium sized (at the absolute maximum) pipes. I favor smaller to medium sized pipes anyway, so it works for me. It's my understanding that tobacco used to be comparatively more expensive than it is now, and pipes were smaller in the past than compared to today on average.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
View attachment 40739
Can you take off the piece with holes, and rip it down the middle with a table saw?

I did that to a few vintage racks and it allows them to now hold any pipe.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Can you take off the piece with holes, and rip it down the middle with a table saw?

I did that to a few vintage racks and it allows them to now hold any pipe.
Yeah, I thought about that, but decided it would ruin the character of the rack for me. I normally don't have my pipes in racks, but in drawers instead. I'll probably find a place to display these pipes in the rack though.

Reactions: Guppy and BROBS

Guppy

Might Stick Around
Sep 6, 2019
Texas
Yeah, I thought about that, but decided it would ruin the character of the rack for me. I normally don't have my pipes in racks, but in drawers instead. I'll probably find a place to display these pipes in the rack though.

Totally agree. Beat up Decatur pipe racks are one thing, but nice vintage examples I leave alone and use them to display smaller pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.