PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have to share this with yous guys ... I think I may have over done it with a toscanello cigar without even lighting it. On Sunday it was my mom's birthday, and since she won't allow me to smoke inside the house I kept on chewing on a toscanello, perhaps for a couple or three hours, until there was hardly anything else left of it - I kept licking on it like a lollipop, chewing after it got soft and spitting it out when it became uncomfortable. Now I never was a chew tobacco guy, maybe I have experimented with dip a few times during my college years, in Texas, but nothing like this ever happened to me. Next morning ... man I felt bad, I felt pretty light headed, my tongue was almost numb, and the taste in my mouth was very bitter, not to mention that my stomach was feeling sorry for itself. I give you that dehydration might have played a role in it as well, since I did have a few glasses too many of wine, but not nearly that many to have considered myself p*** drunk - maybe a bit over tipsy, or like the good old boys used to say in Texas a tad s*** faced.

So I guess I got a bit of nicotine poisoning? Or a combination of a bit drunk and over dosage of nicotine? It sure didn't feel like your traditional hangover. Like I said, that's pretty much all I had as far as tobacco. Before the party I smoked a petite corona at home, and at the party I had 2 cigarettes at most, before starting chewing on the above mentioned cigar. I didn't imagine this stuff was so full of nicotine .. anything similar happened to you?

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Overdose? Chewing is more stimulating by far to me. I like it a bit too much, actually.

Maybe chewing the 'baccy just got you stimulated and you drank more/stayed up later/had a let down from the stimulation the next day.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Twice have I overdone it with tobacco. One time while camping and drinking. I was smoking a cigar and a buddy of mine pulled out a can of Copenhagen. I hadn’t dipped in a couple years, but it looked good. I bummed a big three finger dip off of him, and kept smoking the cigar at the same time. Next thing I new, I was on the ground, with my head on a pile of cow shit, drooling and mumbling incoherently. I couldn’t even bring myself to spit the dip out!

The next time was also while camping and drinking...... It happened when I cut off a big chunk of Cumberland Twist. After a few minutes of chewing on that, I was puking in the bushes. Everything started calling me names (think female parts....). I said “Well why don’t y’all try, since y’all think you’re so tough!”
They did, and most of them ended up puking in the same bushes I had just visited......

Another weird thing that happened to me was when I dipped some Skoal Spearmint for a day. The next day, when I woke up, I had a horrible taste in my mouth. I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror, only to find that my tongue was black! Needless to say, I never dipped that again!

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
you got drunk and ate a cigar.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I guess you can put it that way too.

you got hung over and your dehydration was exacerbated by your chaw making you salivate.

I did salivate more, indeed, I think you nailed it. And all that mouth watering was so darn bitter, and swallowing it kept on fueling my upset stomach, man it was bile like ... If I decide not to scold myself over the event, let's just say it was a learning experience, like don't do that again, bad recipe. After a certain age a hangover is harsh enough, and this was up a notch from your regular hangover.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I knew an old codger that used to chew candela-wrapped cigars. Never lit them. I was a kid, so it didn’t cross my mind to ask him if he got any nic from it. I assume he did. You never saw the guy without an unlit green stogie in his mouth. If it was short, that meant he had chewed up most of it.

Reactions: greeneyes

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I guess you can put it that way too.

I did salivate more, indeed, I think you nailed it. And all that mouth watering was so darn bitter, and swallowing it kept on fueling my upset stomach, man it was bile like ... If I decide not to scold myself over the event, let's just say it was a learning experience, like don't do that again, bad recipe. After a certain age a hangover is harsh enough, and this was up a notch from your regular hangover.
So you basically chewed strong tobacco and instead of spitting you gutted it all? No wonder man. I’m surprised you didn’t get sick sooner.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
To paraphrase (correct me if I'm wrong): you got drunk and ate a cigar.

I think if you didn't feel bad there's probably something wrong with you!

:ROFLMAO:

Also, those Italian dry cured cigars are smoked over various spices and whatnot, as I understand it, and that might also come into play as to how chewing on (eating, lol) the cigar affected you.

Reactions: greeneyes

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
A buddy of mine made some homemade perique that was really stinky and pungent, he smoked a too much and had nicotine poisoning symptoms like headache, nausea, dizziness, etc the next day as well. If he even looked at a cigar he went green.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I watched and old guy have a seizure while chewing on a Tampa Nugget cigar.. He ate the whole damn thing. When it was over he was looking everywhere for the cigar.. I had to break the news to him that he ate it. He just grabbed a new one and went on.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: petes03 and madox07

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Often more than not people tend to over indulge in other vices when alcohol is present. Smoking and drinking go hand in hand so it's no surprise that an alternative forms of nicotine are introduced too. I've never chewed a cigar like you mention, but I remember I had smoked a cigar while fishing and towards the end of that evening smoke the end of the cigar was as wet as soggy bread, but I sure did have a buzz.

About a decade ago I took up dipping tobacco. Eventually go to the point where I was at 2 cans a day. Favorite was SKOAL. Once in a while I'd see how much I could put in my lip. I put 1/3 a tin of SKOAL Cherry in. Let's just say it was a supreme buzz but even for me only 10 minutes were enough.

Reactions: madox07 and seanv